The Mistake

Amy

"This is insane! I am not getting anywhere!" Lia cried pushing the laptop away.

"What's wrong?" I asked sitting next to her on the couch.

"What sort of a stupid city is this? There is not a single affordable apartment here", she whined.

"Well, welcome back to New York. You should look for some more time. I am sure you will find something affordable", I told her.

"I have been trying for five days now, Amy! There is nothing. You know I am yet starting my residency years, right? So, I have to be close to the hospital and my budget is not that high", she pouted.

"I told you that you can stay here", I told her.

"I don't want to be a bother, Amy. Besides, this place is far from my hospital and I can't drive so much in middle of the night if there is an emergency. You know I am not scared of driving but, when you have to get up from middle of sleep, it is difficult. Your car can cr-"

"I get the point, Lia. Back to the problem?" I cut her off from wandering away from the topic.

"Sorry", she said sheepishly.

"Why don't you stay with Luke until you find an affordable place? His place is close to the hospital", I suggested.

"No, I am not staying with him. He just has one room and Connor is staying over most of the time. I don't want to crash on his couch and be the third wheel. They just got engaged. They need their privacy too", Lia pursed her lips.

"Hmmm", I nodded in agreement.

"I guess I will just stay in that apartment I went to see yesterday", Lia pouted.

"No! Absolutely not. That area is not safe at all", I scolded her.

"I don't have a choice and I am not scared. These men who think that women are their property haven't met me yet. I will punch them until they beg for their lives", Lia said scowling.

"Yes, of course. Because when they come to meet you, they will definitely not have any weapons on them and obviously, they will be alone against you, right?" I asked her sarcastically.

"Stop dissuading me", Lia pouted lightly.

"I am not dissuading you. I am telling you not to stay there at all. Period. Aaron's at the office right now. Let him come home and then you can ask him. He will probably have some ideas to help you", I told her.

"How are things between both of you?" she asked with a doubtful look.

I laughed nervously, "Good. Everything is good. Don't worry."

"Now, you are gonna to lie to me?" Lia asked me.

I sighed, "Things are...weird. Aaron hasn't spoken to me since that night. He is avoiding me. Today is Sunday. He left at eight in the morning and he is still in office at seven."

"I am sorry, Amy. It happened because I dropped like a bomb out of nowhere, right? I mean you would have told him eventually in a better manner if I didn't arrive suddenly like this", Lia said sadly.

"No, it is not your fault. It is mine. I should have told him earlier. But, I was scared. I was scared of his reaction. We didn't even know where you were. I told Luke to find you because I couldn't do it with Aaron being around. We decided to not tell him anything until we know for sure where you are. I didn't want to give him any partial information. That night right before you arrived, I was going to tell him. I guess he would have reacted like this anyway", I shrugged.

"You want me to knock sense into him for you? I am telling you, one or two smacks on his head and he will start thinking straight again", Lia suggested making my eyes widen in shock.