The Night Before

Amy

"Yes, Lia. I have everything packed. We will leave tomorrow morning for Seattle", I told her the umpteeth time since today morning.

"Amy, I don't want things to go wrong. We have to keep back up, okay?" Lia told me.

"Lia, if you say this one more time, I am going to hang up, okay?" I told her rolling my eyes.

"Sorry, sorry. It is just I am scared for the first time in my life, Amy. Also, work at hospital is exhausting. I am not even allowed to take leaves as I just started. I had to literally beg the other doctors to exchange shifts with me", Lia complained.

"Well, it will all be worth it", I told her.

"I hope so. Anyways, I gotta go", Lia told me and hanged up. I just smiled at the phone and shook my head.

It was already seven in the evening on Thursday. We are supposed to fly to Seattle tomorrow and search the Lawson Mansion tomorrow night. We know it is very risky but, there is no other choice and we have to do it. The guys initially wanted to go alone due to the high risk. But, we refused to let them go alone. Eventually, they had to give up and let us go with them.

I just gulped as the thought of what may happen if things go wrong made me shudder.

I decided to make something for dinner and when I opened the door to go out, I realised that the living room was dark. I was confused at first but, soon my eyes adjusted and I noticed that a very dim light was coming from the candle burning on the coffee table and Aaron was sitting on the floor next to it. I was surprised not only because of the dark setting but, also seeing Aaron home already. It has been a while since that had happened.

I walked into the living room slowly and when Aaron looked up, I asked, "Why are you sitting in the dark?"

"Just. I felt like it", Aaron replied.

This was first time in days when Aaron had spoken to me normally. Looks like he is not in the mood to be angry right now.

I nodded and was about to make my way to the kitchen when Aaron stopped me.

"Mind sitting with me for sometime?" Aaron asked me.

"But, what about dinner?" I said and immediately regretted. Here, this man wants to talk to me after a whole week and I am thinking about dinner.

"Let's just order for tonight", he told me and I nodded.

I went and sat down on the floor next to him.

When he didn't say anything for sometime, I decided to break the silence.

"You wanna talk about something?" I asked and he sighed.

"I have been a jerk for last few days, haven't I?", Aaron asked me.

"I hid a huge fact. You had a right to be angry at me", I shrugged.

"I wasn't angry at only you. I was partially angry at myself too. I mean I dragged you in this for no reason. But, I was also confused and trying to understand because I didn't get it. Why did you even stay when I blackmailed you saying I will get seventy five percent shares? The company is not even yours. You had nothing to lose. Why did you not leave in the start if those shares didn't matter to you at all?" Aaron asked with confusion.

"They were Lia's right, Aaron. She may not want them but, I didn't know. I couldn't put her right in jeopardy because of what was going on between you and I", I told him.

"But, you could have said something", he sighed.

"I guess I was confused and angry too because of everything", I shrugged.