The Duke's Party

Amy

"What time do we leave?" I asked Aaron as we got back home from the office.

We came back really early today since it is Tuesday and we are supposed to go to the Duke's party.

"Well, it is four right now, so maybe in one and a half hour? We have to reach by six," he told me.

"Fine! Is there a dress code?" I asked him.

"Not really. It is a normal party, "he shrugged.

"Normal? Duke's party is anything but normal, Aaron. I am so scared. What if I end up looking like a walking disaster?" I groaned.

"You will look good in anything you wear, Mel," Aaron smiled, cheering me up.

"I don't know, Aaron," I groaned.

"Just go get dressed, Mel," he laughed and went to his room.

Men don't understand the complexities of women. It is so easy for him to say. He will pick out a suit and gel his hair and be done. We have so much to think about. What if I wear something too formal? What if I wear something too informal? God, this is so difficult.

"Mel?" Aaron opened the door to his room and peeped out.

I looked at him in question.

"Wear anything you feel like, but don't tie your hair. You look more beautiful with your hair down", he winked at me and shut the door.

I was surprised at first and then blushed at little.

I just shook him out of my head and walked to my room.

I was deep in my thoughts when I noticed a bag on my bed and a small note beside it.

I picked it up and read it.

'Hope now you don't need a reason to accept these. -Aaron'

I smiled as I saw that the bag contained the sandals that I had returned to him months ago.

When did he even leave them here?

I just kept the bag in my closet and looked for a good dress to wear.

I finally settled for a white dress. It was a semi formal straight fit dress with no sleeves. It reached my mid calf and looked pretty much nice and comfortable. It was good because it was an afternoon party and the dress was neither an evening dress nor a sundress. It looked perfect.

I matched it with nude heels and diamond studs. I wore a diamond bracelet on one hand and a watch on the other hand. I left my hair down and wore light makeup as usual.

I looked at myself one last time in the mirror and went out.

"Aaron, I am read -" I stopped as I noticed him. He was sitting in the living room already dressed, and I forgot what I was about to say as he got up from the couch.

He was wearing a white shirt on black jeans and had a dark blue velvet blazer on it. His hair was gelled as usual, and he was wearing his spectacles. He looked so handsome. I was trying hard, but I couldn't get my eyes off him.

I blinked, and I noticed that he was looking at me the same way that he looked at me on the night of the annual function.

I gulped and asked, "Wh..what?"

"You... you look..." he just slowly let out a breath.

"Is it not okay? Should I change?" I asked, frowning.

Aaron let out a chuckled, "Change? Yes, you must. Otherwise, people may think that an angel arrived at the party."

Okay, at first, my eyes widened as he indirectly called me beautiful, but then I scowled as I realised that he just used a bloody stupid pick-up line on me.