The Saturday Night

Amy

Finally, I have successfully completed two months of torturous work with Aaron Kingston. Four more months and then I will be free to work anywhere I want. Anywhere but Kingston Designs. But, I will definitely miss working here. Not because of Aaron, but because of the amazing friends I have made here. The interns, my coworkers, Peter and Luke. I will miss all of them.

Although, Aaron has given me almost impossible tasks to complete over these last two months and it took a hell lot of strength to not call it quits at some point, I did enjoy the company of everyone around me. The environment in the cafeteria and the lunch room are always filled with fun, Peter is always saving my ass and Luke keeps my mind off Aaron during the lunch hours. Also, that last incident between us has made a huge effect on our relationship.

It made us realize that staying in close proximity is not safe for us and thus, created an unsaid mutual understanding between us to avoid each other as much as possible. We talk minimal during office hours that is to say if it is extremely necessary for us to do so, share a quite dinner with only sounds of the utensils and then go directly to bed. Aaron, who used to spend some time after dinner watching television in the living room, has stopped it completely. Instead he returns to his room directly after dinner. We do not talk to each other about anything that can nearly be aggravating or needs us to be in close proximity. In fact, we have even avoided going to mom and dad's place since that day so that we do not have to pretend at all.

And, no one is complaining here. In fact, I am really glad that things are like this between us. I have never been a person who can fight and yell all day. I just can't do it. I need my mental peace. If I don't like someone I will avoid them but, I cannot argue and fight with them all the time. No matter how much I hate the other person, if he comes to me, I will talk nicely until he starts getting on my nerves. Considering that it is easy for Aaron to get on my nerves, I am glad that he doesn't talk to me. That way I can maintain my peace.

Everything between us has been so platonic between us these past few weeks that today, when I received a meeting invite from him, I almost jumped out of my seat. Well, obviously it is not just him and me but a lot of other people, at least fifteen other people. But, I was still shocked. Explains much? Yes, that is how much we avoided each other.

Anyways, it is work and I am only his employee here. So, here I am with my manager and ten other people waiting in the conference room for Mr. Kingston to enter.

"Why are we here again?" I whispered to my manager who was sitting next to me.

"No one knows. There wasn't anything specified in the email. No one even knows what the agenda is. We were just invited. I am scared. Hope it is not something bad." Tony showed me his crossed fingers and I slowly nodded.

Just then the door to the conference room opened and a few people walked in. I was about to look away when I saw Luke come in.

"Luke!" I whispered yelled before I could stop myself. I looked around the room and gave everyone a sorry glance.

"Amy!" Luke walked towards me and sat on the empty chair next to me.

"I didn't see you on the list of invitees." I told him.

"Nosy little girl, are you?" Luke chuckled and I elbowed him. "It was a last minute change. The person who was supposed to be here unfortunately met an accident. Minor one but, yes, they had to take him to the hospital."

"What is going on, man? Why this urgent meeting?" I asked Luke hopefully.

"I don't know. You tell me. After all, you are his wife. I thought you would know." he shrugged.