The Argument

Amy

As Aaron opened the files on his desktop, my eyes accidentally fell on the desktop background picture and I caught a glimpse of it before he shifted to full screen. Though Aaron started talking about the design, my thoughts were still stuck on the picture. How I hadn't seen this until today is beyond me!

I could recognize this picture anywhere. It was a picture of all of us, that is Aaron's whole family and me. We had taken it the first time Aaron took me home to meet his parents. We were not even dating back then. It was Diana and Josh's anniversary and Aaron had invited me as a friend. I was extremely nervous back then but all of us got along so well that I wanted a picture of all of us together. They made me feel like I was a family and I never ever wanted to forget that, whatever may happen to Aaron and I. I clearly remember that my phone's battery died so Aaron took it for me and later forwarded it to me. But, he never mentioned that he set that picture as his desktop background.

As far as I have understood this "new" Aaron, if he would have done this to impress me, he would have made sure to let me know about it somehow. Since he didn't do so, it means he didn't do this to impress me. Then, why did he do it?

What is it with you, Aaron? Why are you so confusing? What do you want from me exactly? At one point you say that you hate me and at the other side you do things like this. Is this your new way of torturing me? Why are you even doing this Aaron?

"So?" he asked expectedly getting me out of my stance.

"Huh?" I asked back not realizing what he was talking about.

"So, did you like it?" he asked again with an eye roll.

"Liked what?" I asked again still not realizing what he meant.

"Come on, Amy. My design was not that great to make you loose your ability to think properly. Stop acting dumb and give me an answer. How is my design?" he asked with a shrug.

Or maybe that is his plan. To do such things and keep me thinking back and forth between hating him and doubting my hate for him. That is what he wants to do, play with my emotions until I go crazy. Maybe he must have intentionally added this picture in the background. That is why he called me near him with the excuse of showing his design. I will not let it happen. I will not let him win.

"Why do you need my opinion anyways?" I asked back with a frown.

Aaron frowned and raised a shoulder saying, "Well, I just..."

"Just what? You do not ask your other employees about their opinions on your work, do you? What makes me different?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Why are you even asking all this stuff, Amelia? I just asked for your opinion", he said getting irritated.

"Why? Why is my opinion necessary? Why do you insist on calling me by my first name? Why am I an exception for everything? Haven't I made it clear to you so many times that I am only your employee? Then, why do you treat me differently?" I asked coldly.

"You are not only my employee, Amelia." he said getting up.

"Oh right, yes. I am your vengeance too. Also, if I remember correctly, I have no class and your one night stands have a better taste than me, correct? Then, how will it matter to you if I like it or not? You should probably go and ask Ruby or Jasmine about it. They might give you the answer you would like", I said glaring at him.

"What is wrong with you? Why are you taunting me? I just simply asked if you liked it or not", he asked taking a step closer to me.

"And I simply gave my answer to you. Why? Is there anything against this in the prenup? I don't recall but just in case, sorry", I shrugged and I turned to leave in a dramatic exit. Unfortunately, I forgot that I wore my heels today and I should have placed my foot more carefully because my heels bent the wrong way and I slipped.