The Bet

Amy

"What? What do you mean?" I asked sitting up.

Aaron switched on the light from his bedside table and sat up straight too.

"I mean someone deliberately wanted to cause harm", Aaron said.

"But, why? Who would want to do that?" I asked.

"Don't know for sure. Cops are trying to look", Aaron told me.

"Do you have any gut feeling about it?" I asked frowning.

"I have an inkling but, I don't want to put the blame on anyone until I know for sure", Aaron said looking at me. I was frowning and staring at the floor as I tried to think.

"Don't rack your head. I just told you because I know how much our parents mean to you and just thought you have a right to know as much as Dan and I", Aaron told me.

"They will be safe here and in Tennessee, right?" I asked him lying back down. I tossed and turned a little until I found a comfortable position. I am not very tall but, the couch is not long enough either.

"I have increased the security so they should be good. Really, this is not needed, you know. You can just sleep on the bed", Aaron told me.

"No, I am okay", I told him.

"Fine, sleep on the couch for tonight. You will get back to your senses by tomorrow morning and want to sleep on the bed", Aaron said switching the light off.

"I will not sleep on the bed", I said.

"You wanna bet on it? You will be sleeping on the bed tomorrow night", he said as he lied down too.

"It's a bet", I murmured as I succumbed to sleep.

Next morning...

"What's wrong with your neck, Amy?" mom asked me as I massaged it for the hundredth time since morning. Sleeping on the couch was not good for my neck. It is aching really bad as the muscles are all cramped up. But, it is not like I have a choice. I am definitely not sleeping on the bed and also, it is just few more nights. It won't be that bad.

"Nothing. I just have a small cramp that's all", I told her.

"Why don't you go and rest then? You can take a leave from office today", she said as we all sat down to eat breakfast.

"I don't need rest. It will be alright soon", I told her honestly.

"Okay, as you say, Josh, when are you going to Kingston House today?" mom asked dad.

"I'll go in the afternoon. I think the cleaning should be done by then", dad told mom.

Just then the bell rang.

"I can see that. It must be Peter", Aaron said getting up.

"Peter?" I asked surprised. Hadn't he forced Peter to go on a leave?

"Yes, I have some urgent work for him", Aaron looked at me and went to open the door.

He came back after a few minutes with Peter tailing behind him.

"Hey, Peter", mom said to him.

"Hey, everyone", he said hugging mom.

"I am taking my breakfast in the room. Peter and I have something to discuss in private", Aaron said as he picked up his plate and both of them disappeared to the bedroom.

When I was done eating, I told bye to everyone and left for office. Aaron was still inside discussing something with Peter.

My day at the office passed by pretty much uneventful. Aaron was working from home and things were pretty platonic for me. With him not being around, there was no work for me as a secretary and I was just simply completing my left over designing work. Even Luke had called in sick. I literally had the most boring day in four months since the marriage. To top all that, my mind was constantly going back to the conversation I had with Aaron last night. Why would someone want to harm mom and dad?