The Because

Amy

"Aaron..Aaron, slow down", I winced as his grip on my hand tightened.

He just pretended not to hear me and kept walking back towards the hall pulling me along with him. As soon as we reached the door, he stopped abruptly almost making me fall. Almost.

He looked at me in the eye and gritted, "Do not leave my side. At all."

He let go of my hand and walked inside. I walked in with him. There were fewer people than earlier. Looks like some of them left. How long was I gone for?

He just smiled at everyone else like nothing happened at all as we walked across the hall. He made his way straight to where Peter was standing. I just kept on following him.

"Peter, get Amy at the back gate in five", he whispered to him, gave me a glare and left.

"Amy, I didn't see you the whole night. You look beautiful tonight", Peter smiled at me.

"Thanks, Peter. You look nice too. Is Jenny here?" I asked him.

"Nah, no plus ones allowed, right?" Peter smiled and I nodded.

"Did you have fun tonight?" I asked him.

"Yes, like I always do. But, for you it was a first. Did you enjoy?" he asked.

"Yes, I had fun. Where's Daniel? Have you seen him?", I smiled.

"He...went somewhere with company a few minutes ago", he shrugged.

I just rolled my eyes and shook my head, as I understood the underlying meaning, and checked the time by my watch.

"Let's go before he kills us", I told him.

"Yeah, what's up with boss? Why did he look so angry?" Peter asked as we walked to the gate.

"Angry? He was smiling", I gave him a fake laugh.

"That was a show. Didn't you notice? His fist was clenched in an iron grip", Peter gave me scared look.

"Looks like only I can't read him", I muttered to myself.

"What?" Peter asked.

"Nothing." I shot him a fake smile as we continued walking.

We reached the gate and Aaron was already waiting outside with his car that was parked near the doorstep. There was no one around except us.

"Thanks, Peter. We're leaving now. Take care of the remaining guests and let Dan know if anything, okay?" Aaron said to Peter the minute we got near him.

"Yes, boss", Peter said and left.

"Aaron, I-"

"Just get inside. Not a sound from you", Aaron gritted without looking at me and got in himself. I silently followed biting my lip. I was a little nervous and a little scared too. I have never seen him like this. I don't think I can even loosely put my finger on what he might do.

The second I engaged my seatbelt we hit the road. We stayed quiet for a few minutes. There was pin drop silence in the car.

I know he said not a word but, the silence in the car was so scary that I just had to break it.

"It was...a nice party", I said slowly, but Aaron just kept driving straight. His jaw was still clenched.

"Everyone enjoyed the music and dancing", I tried again but, no response. I am sure this is silence before the storm.

I pursed my lips and tried again, "Why didn't you wait until everyone left? You're the host."

I bit my nails with anticipation. As soon as we got on the highway, Aaron suddenly stepped on the gas and raised the speed to eighty five.