The Knocking Sense

Amy

I just kept looking at him and he continued, "Why don't you sign them while I go get fresh?"

He had the bloody audacity to smile at me and leave to his room.

The minute his door slammed shut, I flinched and stared at the floor. I was clenching the file so hard that the plastic was hurting my palm.

But, I didn't feel the pain. I was numb to it. The pain in my heart was a thousand times more. Even more than when he had told me those hurtful things on our wedding night.

Probably because my love for him has become more intense than before. Six months ago, I loved Aaron as a guy that I have always dreamt of. I had loved just the good in him. But, now, I have seen and known his bad side, and I love him with it. Earlier, I had known him just partially, and now, I have seen through his soul. I had kept secrets from him back then, and now, I am an open book to him. Our dynamics have changed, and so has my love for him. I love him more than I ever did, and thus, it is hurting me more than it ever did.

I went to my room, picked my phone and purse and left the house without another word.

I got in a cab and told the driver the address. I was completely numb as the car drove me around until I found myself at a familiar doorstep.

I rang the bell and Lia opened the door.

"Final-Amy? How come you are here?" she asked with surprise.

I didn't answer and walked inside their apartment.

"Amy, what's wrong?" she asked again as I sat down on the couch.

I looked at her and handed her the file in my hand.

She opened it with caution and flipped through the pages.

She shut the file close in anger and stomped to the room as a tear finally slipped from my eye.

"Open the bloody door, you idiot", Lia yelled knocking on the door of the room.

"What the fuck is your problem? You got your food, right? Now, leave me alone", Daniel yelled back opening the door as I continued staring at the floor.

"What the bloody hell do you and your brother think of yourselves", Lia yelled at him.

"What?" Daniel asked her.

"Look at this", Lia told him.

I heard Daniel flipping the pages as more tears slipped from my eyes.

I am not sad, no. I am furious.

"Who gave this to you?" Daniel asked her.

Lia probably signalled to him as he came out of his room and finally noticed me.

"Amy!" Daniel said sitting next to me.

"What happened, Amy?" Daniel said putting a hand on my shoulder.

That did it and I hugged him crying my heart out.

"Amy, calm down. What happened? Who gave them to you? Tell me, Amy", Daniel said rubbing my back. Lia walked to the kitchen and got me a glass of water.

I drank a few sips of water calming myself and sniffed.

"I..I was..going to tell him that I...He came home and...handed them to me saying...I am free to go. He said..his revenge is over..so...", I couldn't finish it and I kept crying.

"Calm down", Lia told me and gave me a hug.

I calmed down after a few minutes and took a deep breath.