The Most Awaited Moment

Amy

"You are not going to step a foot outside this house, Mel", Aaron warned me the minute my hand reached the door knob.

I smile broke on my face. I quickly hid it and turn around.

"What did you say?", I told Aaron acting innocent.

"You are not leaving. You are not going anywhere", Aaron said again getting up from the couch and taking a step towards me.

"But, why? I told you I will leave today. There is no reason for me to stay", I told him again acting all angry while on the inside I was dancing with happiness.

"There is a reason for you to stay! I am not letting you go", he told me angrily.

"This is absurd. How can you stop me like this so suddenly? The divorce-"

"That was a fucking mistake! The divorce was the biggest mistake of my life!" he cut me off.

"You can't do that. Everything is already set. You just out of the blue declared that you want to divorce me and now, suddenly, when I am leaving, you decide that you don't want it. I cannot live like this. You made your decision, I signed it. Now, you can't stop me", I told him matching his anger as we were standing a foot apart.

"I can and I will. The divorce will not happen. You will remain my wife", he told me and held me angrily pulling me toward himself.

"Why, Aaron? You said you married me for just revenge which is over now! So, why do you want me to stay?" I asked staring at him in the eye.

"Yes, I said it and that is not a lie. When I married you, I had only revenge on my mind", he told me angrily.

"Yes and that is the only reason for you even today, right? You must have planned this too from the very start like everything else, right? Like when it all ends, you will divorce me", I told him.

"I never wanted a divorce! Since the day I met you, I had thought of a lot of ways this would end in. Marcus Lawson confessing or dying, you feeling sorry for what he did, me dying, you hating me, my parents hating you or forgiving you, me forgiving you and many more random scenarios. But, divorce was never one of them! Not even the last one. I never wanted it! Never!" he yelled at me.

"If you didn't want a divorce in the first place, then why did you serve me those papers?" I glared at him and this time the anger was real.

Aaron's face softened and he looked at me with hurt. He left my hand abruptly and turned around.

"You can't turn your back on me, Aaron. Answer me", I told him.

He didn't turn around and I yelled again, "Answer me, damn it. Why-"

"Because, I wanted to give you a choice!" he yelled at me turning around.

I looked at him with confusion. Out of everything I had expected him to say, this was nowhere near it.

"What?" I asked with a frown.

"Yes. Last whole week, my entire stay in Tennessee, I spent a lot of time thinking about you and everything that has happened to you. I realised that all your life, you have been told what to do and have been used by people. First, your parents gave you up. Then, Jasmine used you. Then, Arthur Lawson, Marcus Lawson and at the end, me. You never really made a choice for yourself. Yes, you lived with your own free will but, somewhere there was always something or the other that controlled your actions. I wanted you to have a chance to choose your own path. To choose without anything holding you back. To choose if you want to stay with me as my wife or go. I didn't want you to stay with me because there is some paper that compels you to do it as my wife but, because you want to do so", Aaron sighed.