Chapter 5

Jamie's POV

We left the restaurant around 9:30PM and decided to get ice cream for dessert.

“What flavor are you getting? I already know mine.” I hurriedly asked him to which he responded with “Chocochip cookie dough, maybe. I really don’t have preference but I like that flavor. What will you be having?”

“I’m getting mint choco ice cream.” I told him with a bright smile on my face.

“Mint choco ice cream?” he confirmed with furrowed eyebrows. “Does it not taste like toothpaste?”

“It happens to be my favorite ice cream flavor and excuse you, it does not taste like toothpaste!” I argued as a lot of people have said the same thing, he’s no different.

“You should try it, I might change your mind?” I urged.

“I will but I am still going to get Chocolate chip cookie dough, I’ll just get from you.”

We got our separate ice cream cups and decided to walk around the complex, we still have time because this place closes at 11:30PM on Fridays/Saturdays and the trains still run until 12:45AM.

While walking around we talked about random things to know ourselves better. I noticed though that he hadn’t really tried the mint chocolate ice cream, so I offered. “You promised you’d try, I am nearing half the cup and you haven’t.” 

“I thought you wouldn't notice because you were enjoying your ice cream so much. That might not be enough for you if I got a spoonful.” he laughed while trying to get out of that promise.

I pouted and said, “Okay fine, don’t.” making it sound like I’m disappointed, which I was not really. I mean not a lot of people like choco mint ice cream and those who don’t, truly think it tastes like toothpaste. I beg to differ though.

“Hey, I was just teasing, here let me get some.” I sensed worry in his voice. I allowed him to get a spoonful and looked at how he tried to suppress his reaction to the taste. Poor guy, he doesn't like it one bit but he’s trying his best to appease me.

“How is it?” I probed, I already know though how much he disliked it by the way he looked.

“Uhmm.. it’s okay. I mean it could be better but it’s tolerable.” all he could muster to make it sound like he enjoyed it.

“You don’t like it right?” I laughed. Urging him to honestly tell me his opinion.

“I really don’t. I’m so sorry. But I’d stick to my choco chip cookie dough.” then he burst out laughing.

“I mean no offense, I respect your preference for ice cream flavor but I can only tolerate a spoonful or maybe two or three for you but that’s about it.” stating the fact while raising both his hands as if to surrender and he means no harm. I find the gesture and honesty quite charming. 

“Aren’t you tired? We’ve been walking around for half an hour already, your feet must hurt?” he asked, a bit concerned.

“They don’t hurt, I’m fine. These are actually comfortable but if we’d walk for an hour I’m pretty sure I will start complaining and ask to sit somewhere.” I quipped but to be honest I had not noticed we’ve been walking around for 30 mins and did not mind that I was wearing heels.

“Well, you still have to sit somewhere, do you want to go to the arcade and play some video games? We still have time until the complex closes.”

I nodded in agreement and we headed towards the arcade. Never been to one for a while now so this is a welcomed detour.

“What do you want to play? Do you want to try that? This isn't too noisy for you?” he asked while looking around and pointing at one video game machine. The arcade was not too crowded even if it’s past ten in the evening.