Chapter 1.3

Jamie's POV

The past three days were the usual. I am spacing out again in my study room. I know I need to work on my manuscript but I can’t. I must be having what they call a research slump.

It’s 5pm and my phone vibrated.

“Hi.” It simply said. And it is from Sean. I had not realized that I had this slight smile on my face.

“Hi.” I replied.

“How are you?” the message in grey said.

“On a writing slump but on the contrary, I am good.” I don’t know what got into me that I told him I am in a writing slump.

“That sounds serious. You need coffee?” a smile again etched on my face. Thoughtful yet does not press further.

“A little bit. And thank you but I don’t drink coffee.” My message in blue said.

“Oh. Do not drink coffee. Noted on that. Tea then?” What is this guy planning? I am curious and plus I needed a break from this writing that leads nowhere.

“Why, are you going to give me a supply?” I decided to play along, and his reply came in an instant.

“Would you let me to?”

It took awhile for me to reply. I was surprised with that one loaded question. I tend to read into things and sometimes it is both a blessing and a curse. Both situations I am mostly right.

“uhm. I don’t want to overdose on tea though.” Was my weak attempt to be witty.

“I could supply other drinks aside from that.” Is this guy selling me products or what?

“You own a drink distribution company or something?” this exchange is turning into something weird.

“Funny. =p No, I don’t. That offer is exclusive.” Why am I getting giddy with this reply. Reign it in Jamie.

I had not noticed that I had been exchanging messages with him for over an hour already when he asked what I plan to eat for dinner.

“I am still at the library; I am staying here until it closes to see if I can get some notes. I bought sandwiches and drinks at the cafeteria.”

“I reckon you’re still at the library. You should eat a real meal.”

I felt a little guilty because going through our exchanges, he was the one who always had questions to get the conversation going. To think I am the one who is being trained for my program to keep probing. I do not know how he would read into what I am about to send but I am just genuinely curious.

“Have you eaten dinner? What are you having or plan on having?” There, brave Jamie. Good work.

“I am actually at the library too. Honestly, I wanted to ask you out for dinner, but you said you have sandwiches and drinks prepared for the night. Then my lab partners decided to get dinner outside.”

I felt sorry for how disappointed he sounded. Why am I feeling a little disappointed too? I just met him about 6 days ago!

“Maybe some other time.” Is all I could reply to him.

“You mean… if I ask you out for dinner or a movie, you’d actually go?”

What did I get myself into? I thought to myself. Will you really go, Jamie?

“Maybe….? Depends on the schedule.” This is a very non-committal reply like a shrug of shoulders. I can’t help but hit my forehead.

“So if I schedule it in advance then you’d probably go. Which is good enough for me. It’s Monday today. Are you good with Friday? Movie and Dinner? I won’t change the schedule. I'd stick to it. I promise I won’t even try to deliberately bump into you between today until Friday.”

His reply was lengthy but so determined. I guess it’s worth a try? Like what Pete said, “Take a leap.” So here goes the leap.

“Okay, Friday. I will be done or will try to be done with my coursework by 5pm. I’d meet you after I change around 6:00PM?” That could not be more specific. I feel like we are setting up a conference not a dinner date.

“YEEEEEESSS!! It’s a date!!!” his reply made me laugh that it screams excitement.