Chapter 17

Channel 199

“Congratulations, Jamie! That was an interesting, very informative study on Aging and Cognition. There are a lot of prevailing issues when people age and yours can be one of the good references in assessing and guarding older adults from certain midlife diseases and other cognitive issues. I cannot wait to work with you at the University Hospital!” one of the panel members commended my research.

I have keen interest in aging issues because of my grandmother. My brother and I grew up having her very visible in and part of our lives. Whenever our parents are out of the country for the longest period because of Dad’s work, we’ll be in her care. She’s one of the main people I always run to whenever I have a hard time and I want to make sure that when she gets a little more older, I get to be there for her too.

I am so relieved. The outpouring of commendations I received from the panel gave me so much high. I didn’t know how we survived this semester but we actually did. I don’t even have a lot of revisions to do and was urged to start early at the hospital but I asked if I could just take a few weeks to get a breather.

The rest of my grad school friends have also completed their presentations, some needed revisions and were asked to submit the next week but nothing too grueling. I could maybe help them out a bit if they need it since I’m done. Pete also was so relieved yesterday that he didn't have to worry about his research anymore. He decided to take just two weeks off and then proceed with the University Hospital internship.

I sent a message to our family group chat to inform them of my results. My parents sent out long messages of congratulations along with “We are so proud of you! I love you!” while my silly brother just sent, “Congrats! Buy me food!”

“How was it?”

I was about to dial Sean’s number when he sent me a message first. I decided to ask him to meet me somewhere close by instead.

“I’ll tell you all about it later 💗 Starving. meet me for late lunch? 😘”

“Okay, see you in 30. 😘”

He’s been so supportive while I prepare for this. Making sure I have enough food and chocolates within my reach. He’d quickly drop by the library or my apartment in between shuffling from meeting his professors and going to the factory. His findings were due a few days ago and he, like I already knew, didn’t have a hitch in submitting it.

While I was buying water on my way to the place we agreed to meet for lunch, I saw this cute card that has “I love you” written on it and decided to get it for Sean. I gotta write him a note for all the things he did for me the past weeks, he made the struggles even more bearable. I’ve been quite lacking in spending time with him these days but now that I have completed my requirements, I’m set on giving him my undivided attention.

He got there first.

“Hey genius. Nice to finally see you all bright and smiley. I miss that face.” He said after giving me a kiss on the cheek.