Chapter 2

[Sean’s POV. A little glimpse of his perspective on how things went from Day 1 to asking Jamie out on a Date]

I wanted to keep messaging her last night but I had to stop myself from doing so thinking that she needs time to continue with her manuscript and worried that she might lose more sleep over my incessant texting.

I’ve never really held back like this when I am that interested in a girl. This is kind of different, feels different. I want to take it slower than usual and make sure we get to know each other better plus she is also quite busy with her school load, like I am.

I’ve heard about her from Pete before, I was never really curious at first and I thought he likes her because he sometimes mentions stuff about her like how she is intelligent in her ways, kind but can get feisty when called for and how she understands his frustrations.

I really thought they were dating at first so I did not press further.

One time when I wanted to take a break from my lab work, I asked Pete if he could join me for a drink.

He’s usually my go to guy on things like this because he listens carefully to my rants like a future Psychotherapist that he is, plus he lives near my apartment so it’s easy to drag him out.

It does not happen too often though as we get to be very busy with our respective lab works and most often I go to the factory to keep an eye on my research project.

“What do you want?” Pete sounding like the usual, “You’re bothering me Sean but I’d give you my time of the day.”

“Up for a drink?”

“Why what’s up?” the tone on his voice shifted from playful to a bit concerned. This is why he is going to be great with his chosen field, he picks up easily.

“Nothing, I just needed a break.” Is all I could say.

“Got it, I’ll see you outside campus in 30?”

“Sure the usual.” and he knows where he needs to go, we have this place near campus where most students drink.
I was already at the pub and had ordered our drinks when Pete arrived.

“Sorry man, took longer than usual.” he said apologetically.

“Nah, it’s all good. I know my invite was short notice and I’m even happy that you got the time to hang out with me today.”

“I just had to drop by the library and give my notes on our lab work to Jamie.”

“Oh, sorry to ruin your time with your girlfriend, man. You should have told me, I could have canceled or drank in my apartment.”

Pete looking at me like I have humongous zit on my forehead said, “Jamie? My girlfriend? You have the wrong idea.”

“What do you mean? Is she not your girlfriend? I mean you’ve been mentioning her and you kind of see her more than usual so why is it that I have the wrong idea?” I fired back puzzled with his reply.

“For one, she is my lab partner, I usually get good results when I work with her. Second, she is a great friend and I happen to think like she’s the younger sister I never had.” he said while holding up two fingers when enumerating his reasons why I have the wrong idea.

“Oh. I thought….” I trailed off.

“Dude, I am dating someone else. I mentioned her to you before and I am not sure why she did not register in your head.” he spat while shaking his head.

“Because you talk more about Jamie than any other person?” is all I could utter. Now I am curious.

When I found out that they never dated and he treats her like his younger sister I did not know then that I was relieved. I only realized it on the day I met her at the library. She was a sight to see. She was flustered maybe from rushing down the stairs running to the study hall because she was late or maybe she did not expect to see Pete sitting with someone.

My curiosity got into me when I ran into Pete at the library entrance. I just finished my presentation for a solo lab work and I received additional comments from my professor to include other references so I decided to head down to the library after and saw him.

“Yo! Where are you headed ugly face?” tapping Pete’s shoulder when I rushed from behind.

“Ugly your face, I’m meeting Jamie for our lab work.” Oh, so I will get to see who this Jamie is today. I should tag a long.

“Why do you look like that?” he asked while looking at me from head to toe.

“I had a presentation today and there was a grant adviser who wanted to sit in and listen to what I had worked on. I had to put on some better clothes.” I explained with my right hand gesturing towards my clothes.

“You did well I presume seeing you have that smug look on your face. Ah! Why is she not answering her phone, she usually would just answer quickly.” Pete said, a little annoyed.

“I could wait with you if you need some company, you don’t want to be looking too lonely out there and get stood up like you were on a date.” I said teasingly but I know my thoughts betrayed me. I just wanted to see who this Jamie is.

“Yeah okay, so you could actually meet her and stop that nonsense thinking we’re dating. I mean she looks at me like I am her sibling and I treat her the same.” he said, not picking up my hidden agenda.

We were in the middle of discussing when a small voice said, “Hi.” it was Jamie.

Pete stood up and like any guy should do, I stood up to greet her.

I do not know what got into me when Pete introduced us. I offered my hand for a handshake.

I never do that really to people I just meet at school. But it felt like I did not have control over my hand and offered it to her.

She was looking cute with a slight hint of red cheeks from being flustered when she shook my hand without really looking at me.

That neatly cut short hair that suits her. That awkward smile that I find pretty. I can’t help but try to memorize her facial features.

Why I never asked Pete how she looked is beyond me.

She is gorgeous.

Simple yet elegant in her own ways.

My trail of thought got interrupted when Pete cleared his throat and I hastily said my goodbyes because I was quite shocked at how I reacted around her.

I am relieved that they are not dating.

So relieved.

I had to get through the books I needed after that but the thoughts of her lingered.

Maybe I should ask Pete about her and ask for her number. I won’t do it tonight though because I know they are purposely working on their lab presentation.

I decided I could call him tomorrow after his class.