Chapter 3

CH10 • Back to Jamie's POV

I finally got some work done on my manuscript. One of the requirements for our research is to have used cases for validation and referencing.

I was able to get in touch with a researcher from another country that had worked on a topic similar to mine.

They allowed me to utilize their formulated tool with adjustments to my current setting with an assurance that I share my findings for cross referencing.

Getting published is a feat in our field, especially if I want to pursue my program further, and this is a great development.

I have a few more years to go. I have to complete my clinical certification for at least 3 years, depending on how many hours I put in, for full practice.

With all these career timelines I have set, I thought of just focusing on achieving my goals and dating can come later.

I am not inexperienced, there are guys at school that are also interested, and I have my share of past relationships or gone on dates but never really progressed.

I always thought it would be unfair to them if I do not have or give enough time, so I never truly give effort and they fizzle out even before it truly starts.

I don’t know why but with Sean, I agreed to a Friday dinner and movie date without further hesitations.

I would usually turn those kinds of invites from other guys down, but with him it felt like it was the right thing to do and there could be more to it.

Is it because he’s Pete’s friend and I trust Pete?

Or reading into our text exchanges, he never really pressed on and seemed like he respected my time and would usually be the one to say good night urging me to get some rest?

I mean, he’s on a graduate program too and engineering can be that demanding as well.

We say hello to each other almost everyday after that long exchange last Monday. I guess we broke the invisible awkward barrier on text exchanges though we haven't really gotten the courage to call each other.

Most often, he’s the one who would send the message first. One thing is for sure, I am eager to know how Friday would unfold.

It’s Thursday and I am getting a little anxious of what tomorrow would be like. We didn't meet the past days despite our constant texting. Only ever met him at the library when we got introduced to each other.

I know he’s mostly at the factory off campus for the lab work but comes to school for a few classes.

He promised he won’t deliberately bump into me from Monday until tomorrow, so does that mean if I allowed, he’d try to meet me around campus? The thought kind of excited me.

I sighed and had my internal talk, “What are you thinking Jamie? Make sure not to get all your hopes up because this might be another feeble relationship.”

“Hi. How’s your day going?” the message read, it’s from Sean. I saved his number with just “Sean.”

“Hey you! How’s it going? Surprisingly I had a lot of work done today.” We would usually ask how our day goes, I have gotten a little comfortable and have smooth conversation during these exchanges.

He really is fun to talk with.

“That’s good to hear! I am actually on my down time too. No problems at the lab whatsoever. I was wondering what movie you wanted to see tomorrow? I got the restaurant down but I don’t want to impose on a movie that you may not like.” Here’s a guy that’s always considerate of my opinions.

“Are we watching a movie first then eat dinner? I’d go check the titles and get back to you.”

“The restaurant is at the same complex as the cinema so we have enough time whichever comes first and there’s no reservation needed.”

“Fireworks is showing, would that be good for you?” I’ve been meaning to watch this anime movie since it started showing a few weeks ago but hadn't gotten the chance to see it.

At least, I can watch this with him.

“The anime film? That sounds good to me. So long as you want to watch it, I don’t really mind. Any movie would do.” was his reply that made me smile.

“Thank you for being considerate!” I had to tell him that despite the tingles I felt in my stomach.

“No, thank you for even agreeing to go out on a date with me tomorrow. =)” was his polite answer but why is this giving me more hope than I should have?