Chapter 19

Channel 216 •

Jamie's POV

I have about two months of break before I officially start my internship at the University Hospital. I tried to make it three but another delay will take me longer to finish the required hours.

I could opt for a private clinic too, though if I want broader exposure in geriatrics assessments and counseling, I should continue with the hospital. That’s what I would like to have more experience on.

Almost two weeks have already passed and I’m actually enjoying my free time. I get to catch up on the books I set aside and spend time with a few of my friends who work for different companies. Sean is on his internship now full time.

It’s his birthday and he’s spending it here since his parents will be back the next following weeks. His father has a business trip and his mother decided to join him to meet some of their relatives and friends.

I’ve already talked to them over the phone the other day when they called while I was out with Sean at the park. They are pleasant. His father is reserved though, a total opposite of his mother who, like what Sean said, would want to invite me over whenever possible. I think Sean takes after his mother when it comes to personality.

I informed him that there will be no surprises today. He had those already in the past days.

We’re having a dinner party in my apartment instead and  invited some of our friends to come over. At first, he didn't really want much fanfare. He’s a friendly guy but he said he’d rather have a quiet time with me, go out for dinner, watch a movie or anything simple.

I disagreed since he also needed to see his friends and besides it’s the first birthday we’ll ever celebrate together and I want him to enjoy it - not just with me but with people close to him too, especially that his parents are out of the country.

He sent some pictures and videos during lunch when his colleagues surprised him with a birthday cake. He looked happy with them so I will turn a blind eye on the person who was holding the cake for him.

My kitchen is decorated with shiny gold metallic plastic strips I got from a party store. I also borrowed Pete’s party lights the other day and why that guy has a set at home beats me.

There’s no theme for this really so I told our friends to just wear their usual casual clothes but some of them mentioned that since most are coming from work it’ll be like a “just got out of being a corporate slave” theme. So I obliged and chose to wear Sean’s white polo shirt and tie pairing it with shorts for comfort.

I’ve got the playlist ready for tonight too but I’m playing my main one first to accompany me while I set up a few more things I needed to. I've informed my neighbors that I’ll be having some noise tonight so I apologized early. They said it was okay because I rarely make noise in this apartment.

While I was preparing, I heard the door open. I saw Sean coming in with a few things in his hands. Must be the gifts and the cake he got earlier at the factory.

“You’re early! I thought you'd be home a bit later?”

“I got off early, well, they let me off early cause I told them I needed to prepare for dinner.” he gave me his usual warm smile and a peck on the lips I love receiving whenever he greets me. 

I wrapped my arms around him, swayed with him a little because of the good song that’s playing.

“Then you can help me a little, I’m almost done but you can put some of the food on the table. Mom sent some and there’s bulgogi. The additional meat you said your mom ordered already arrived this afternoon too.”

“Okay, I have a few sweets in here too.” gave me another kiss on the cheek.