Chapter 20

Channel 365

Jamie's POV

“How’s the game going?”

Sean and the rest of our friends have been at the bowling alley since ten in the morning. I don’t know how these guys can get up early after a few drinks last night and still play.

“I’m on a winning streak, Pete is crying in the corner as we speak.” He chuckled as to what seemed to be a mockery to his friend who might be over hearing this call.

“Hey! No one’s crying! We still have a few more games. Just watch out!” I hear Pete shouting his disagreement.

“Stop messing with Pete, he’s going to be so pissed later if he keeps losing.”

 “That’s what he gets from messing with me last night. Is your brother there?”

“He’s almost here, well they are. Mom is joining him, he had lunch with her first that's why he’s late. Are you dropping by for dinner later?”

“Maybe, not sure yet cause I think these guys are still going to get some drinks, so no promises. I’m sorry, I’ll apologize to your parents when I call later.”

 “It’s okay, I understand, you haven’t hung out with the rest of your friends.”

“I’ll meet your brother tomorrow though, maybe we can play soccer if he wants to. Please ask him if he’s game. I’ll invite some of the guys.”  

“Okay, I’ll ask him when he gets here.”

“Hey are you going to be on the phone all afternoon or are you ready to lose?” I’m hearing Pete in the background again.

I heard a scuffle on the phone.

“Jamie, please hang up. I know you miss him already, which makes me want to puke ugh, but I need to beat this guy. He’s getting overly proud.” Pete on the other line sounding annoyed.

“Alright, alright. Have fun. Now give the phone back to Sean please.”

I heard Sean say some explicatives to Pete and some laughter in the background.

 “Sorry. I’ll call you later. Bye.” 

I’ll just leave him be, they get so serious with these games. I hope my other friends who decided to join them don’t get too worried when they see how competitive these guys are. 

When my mother and brother got inside my apartment, they had this worried look on their faces after I turned around.

“What happened? What’s wrong? Why are you crying? Have you been crying?” my mother fired off several questions as she tried to look for the tissue paper. 

My brother, Johann, does not know what to do. I don’t think he’d ever seen me in this state for so long. He stood there with a blank expression. 

“Mom, I’m fine. Calm down.” 

“Did you and Sean fight? Was he here? Where is he?” My mother and her twenty questions. I cannot get a word in. 

While waiting for them here, I decided to watch one of the movies I’ve been meaning to watch, “Irreplaceable You”. It would make you ask, what can you do more for the one you love while you know that your time is limited. Kind of heart wrenching but a good movie. It made me cry. The movie was the reason why I was bawling like this. 

“No, we did not. I was watching a movie and it just ended. It was because of the movie, Mom. Calm down. I’m fine.” Me gesturing to the end credits on the television.