Chapter 12.1

“Question, what do you do when there’s someone who you think likes your significant other?”

“Who are we talking about here, you or Sean? And in what context?”

I know they’re going to gun for specifics, but okay I’ll play.

“Remember I told you guys we were going to a party last weekend?” they all nodded simultaneously like the gossip-mongers they are and urged me to continue.

“Well there’s this one girl at the party, part of their project team at the factory, who was extra attentive to say the least. I kind of sensed that, you know she likes him.” I continued narrating what I’ve observed during that night.

“What did you do?” Here I thought I was going to get an input, why am I being asked what I did?

“I was the one asking for your opinions, why do you want to know what I did?” I said with a slight hint of displeasure.

“For the juicy gossip, nothing more.” they all laughed at the confession.

“Well, I for one will probably hold it together. You were socializing and a lot of people were there at the party. I’d keep it to myself first but paint a target mark on that person’s forehead for my invisible dagger throwing pleasure.”

Everyone chuckled at one of my friends' comments.

“I’m short-tempered..” before our friend could continue, we all said “We know!” in unison.

“Shut up, let me finish. I’d probably attest that she’s crossing my territory. Whatever she says or does, I’m pretty sure I will have a comeback of my own. But I’d do it subtly though. She’d be oblivious of me I’m sure since all her attention will be directed at my boyfriend.”

“You got a point. At that given situation, people like them who would have the courage to still act that way despite being introduced to the significant other are either clueless or actually just blatantly messing with you. You’ll just end up fighting with your partner however you react, if that’s the route you’re choosing. Especially if your partner isn't that understanding of your temperament.”

Pete is awfully quiet in this discussion.

“At the end of the day, it’s a matter of are you going to react to the situation or are you going to respond. Those are totally two different scenarios. One is fueled with emotions and the latter with rationality.” one friend added.

“But you know, when you’re in that situation, where and when do you draw the line of responding and reacting? Not everyone can have the saneness in processing all of that you know.”

At least my friends aren't the kinds who would urge you to have an argument or pick a fight.

“That will always differ in situations though. Sometimes we’d be dealing with not just emotions but ego and this is even more magnified with us men, honestly. That’s a whole new discussion right there, as you know it’s the one that mediates the conscious and unconscious.” one of my male friends pitched in.

“We’ll be throwing psychoanalysis concepts here and there but one thing is for sure though, it’s always important to talk with your partner. Not to hurl accusations or whatever at them. They still need to have their room to discuss - if they actually know what was going on or they needed to know it.”

“Pete aren’t you going to say anything?” the girls urging him to get into the discussion.

“Hmm? Well, you guys might call me biased since it actually involves my other friend. But okay, I’ll bite. Speaking from experience, no theoretical take on this one. Men can get clueless at times when it comes to certain women advances, especially if they are so subtle. We’d be so blind about all of this. I’m not speaking for everyone here, you can all challenge it and we can have all night for this discourse but I’m certain, if your significant others have their 110% attention all directed to you, you wouldn’t have the need to pick a fight with them or anyone else for that matter. You just have to have that conversation. So if that’d be me in that situation, I’ll wait for my chance to have that talk with my girlfriend before I conclude anything.” Pete said with finality.

The rest continued their take on the situation and shared their experiences too. Yeah, conversations are better than arguments. That’s conclusive.

We all decided to part ways as it’s getting late. While everyone went ahead, Pete and I were left behind still fixing our stuff. I know he held back on his thoughts earlier and I know why he’s still here with me. I’m sure he’s going to say something that’s going to be considered subjective.

“I’m all ears, my friend.” urging him to start speaking what’s on his mind.

He smirked, he knows that I know he wants to say something out of earshot from our friends.

“I’m sure he won't deliberately put you in that situation. It’s sickening to keep hearing it but he’s all about you and I trust that you know that.”

“I do, thank you Pete.” accepting the assurance one of Sean’s oldest friends is giving me. 

I got home with just enough time to take a hot bath to wash off the tiredness of this day. I can’t complain though as this day has been productive. My paper is almost in full scale, all I have to do is run the remaining statistical analysis I have left and consult with my adviser.

My phone started ringing, I guess Sean has already settled after arriving at his apartment. I answered his facetime call so we could catch up a little before saying our good nights for today.

 I answered his facetime call so we could catch up a little before saying our good nights for today