Special Chapter: Through the Night 5

Sean's POV

Pete told me that he’s meeting Jamie in a coffee shop to catch up and I should wait until he leaves their table. These two can talk and will talk on hours end when they can so his cue is when he gets up and leaves.

I don’t know what he’s going to say to her but I trust that he can pull that off. I’m just going to wait in a corner and drink my coffee until he does. Also banking on the fact that Jamie will not recognize me as she’s not particular with her surroundings when she’s with people she loves to hang out with because she’s so focused on them.

It’s been more than 30 mins since they have met and they keep talking. I see her happy and her laughter is music to my ears, I miss that sound so much. I’m trying to be patient and sit still as I am at the verge of barging in to say hello but I’m mustering all the restraint I have in me to hold it together. I’ve already finished my cup of coffee while hiding behind a book which I am not even reading.

I’ve endured almost three years not seeing her in front of me, I can wait another 30 mins to get my chance if I need to. But I wish Pete would give me my opening soon because my patience is wearing thin. I need to hear that voice and see that face up close.

Pete stood up and gave me a look, that’s my cue. Jamie was scribbling something in her journal when I took courage and walked towards her.

I’m so nervous and I did not know how to start or say hello. She’s jotting down a few things in her journal so seriously and when she does, she can dismiss the sounds around her.

“Is this seat taken?” I asked bravely

When she looked up, I saw her eyes light up, surprise very evident. Yes, I am here. For you. I’m back and if you’re going to make me work for it to have you back, I will do so with every fiber of my being. As cheesy as that may sound to you and I know you will say that for sure.

She nodded to answer that the seat is taken, I guess she’s referring to Pete? I still took the seat, this is my spot, it always has been and will be from now on plus our friend is not coming back anymore.

When she asked me how I was, I knew she’s happy to see me. I’m still looking at you the way I used to, the way I always do, aren’t I? That never changed and I will make sure it will never change. I’ll tell you how sure I am, this time. I have my answers if you ask questions.