Chapter 30

The two weeks I had was such a great break. I got to spend time with family and friends. Facetime was our daily routine but we have to time it properly because of the timezone. I’d call him before going to sleep and him heading to work and breaks in between.

I was very happy to spend time with Rada and the rest of her friends. It was such a riot when we went out drinking, as usual. Spending time with Johann was amazing too. I didn’t know I’d miss my brother that much.

He’s staying there for a while to figure out what he wanted to do after. He had a few offers to work there already due to his scholastic performance but he has not decided yet so I told him to consider all options given to him but make sure to consider what he wants and not other people’s pressures and expectations.

I didn’t go straight to the hospital when I got back and took about three days more to adjust with the timezone and spend time with Sean. But like any vacation, it always ends even if you don’t want it to and before you realize it, a month or so have passed.

We get back to our usual routine plus the stress that comes with it but we have to manage everything in life, still. There is purpose in everything that we do, always.

“Are you ready? Do you want me to come up or should I wait for you in the car?”

“Heading out now to the lobby. I see your car already. I’ll hang up.”

“Hello gorgeous.” Sean greeted me when I got in the car.

“And hello to you too. You look handsome in those glasses.”

“I do? You should always be the one to choose my eyeglasses then.” He then gave me a soft kiss on the cheek.

“Drive, you don’t want to be late.” I urged him.

We’re going to a dinner party of one of his senior managers tonight. A bit formal and we’re going to put our socializing skills to good use tonight because there are higher ups in this party.

He looks nervous too, he’s good with people but I know being surrounded by people of high position in the company can get nerve wracking. I’m even nervous because I have to make sure my social graces are intact.

The valet took Sean’s car keys and we went straight to the venue. A few people had already recognized him when he entered and pleasantries had begun.

“I don’t see the senior manager who’s celebrating yet. Once I see him, we have to say hello right away and then we can stay for a bit but if you want to leave we can leave right after.” He informed me of his plans.

“Why do we need to leave after greeting the celebrant? Don’t you want to mingle with your colleagues? I’m okay, don’t worry about me.”

I prepared for tonight. I’m not even tired today.
“Oh okay. If you say so.”

A few minutes had passed and our table was buzzing. Different topics being discussed, usually work related but the plus ones have also started talking to each other, there’s nothing really to do but socialize. The celebrant is already going around. I guess he let people settle and eat first before he greets everyone.

“That’s him.” Sean pointed at the guy in black suit, smiling and shaking every person’s hand whenever he passed by.

“I see. Looks young for his age.”

“He does, quite a smart guy too. He’s with a few of his team members.”

When he got to our table, he greeted everyone quickly but when he saw Sean and recognized him he stayed for a few exchanges.

“Hi Sean! Thank you for coming to the party.”

“Happy birthday Sir. Thank you for inviting us. This is my girlfriend, Jamie.” Sean introduced me to the people standing in front of us now and they all said hello and I greeted each one.

“I heard a lot about you and your R&D team. I should visit you guys soon and see what you all have in store for us.”

“That would be a pleasure sir.”

One of the senior members spoke too.

“Sean is one great addition to the R&D team. His project during his internship was well received and they didn’t want to let him go. Too bad, soon as you decide, you’ll be leaving us.”

I’m as confused as the celebrant after hearing what he said. Sean looked like he had his blood drained from his face. I’m even more confused.

“Why would he be leaving our company soon?” Thanks for saying what I was thinking Sir.

“You have not decided yet Sean, have you? He might not leave, Sir. He got offered a scholarship a few months back for PhD. You know how that gets.”
Ah, the scholarship offer. Now I remember. We have not really touched that subject after I came back. It seemed to be always put aside.

“No Sir I have not and I don’t think I’ll be accepting it either.”

“You can accept it, it’s a great opportunity and still choose us as your lab. We can always have an agreement with your school like we did the last time.” The manager said.

The one who brought up the scholarship added an information that Sean had forgotten or should I say omitted to tell me.

“It’s in Germany. He can’t be choosing us as the partner company for his research.”

“Oh. Who offered?”

Sean cannot get a word in when the two managers have started discussing and he’s gauging my reaction. The senior team member mentioned a school and they all agreed that it’s one of the top choices if you really want to proceed with higher education on engineering. Their technology is top notch and Sean will learn so much there.

“You should consider it, Sean. It doesn’t happen all the time.”

I agree.

“I’ll think about it Sir.” It’s the only reply he could muster.

They all left our table after a few more exchanges and I am staring a very torn Sean in front of me.

“Hey, we’ll talk about it later okay? Let’s enjoy this party so that we can get home very soon.” I urged him and he nodded.