Chapter 29

My two week break is in two days. The past month felt like a very bad routine of getting home late, just saying good night to each other, pick up from work or sometimes if he stays overnight which is rarely, he’d drop me off to the hospital before he gets to work.

Because I hated that kind of routine, I just decided to drop all the reports I plan to do over the weekend and asked him to come hang out with me. Besides, I leave for two weeks so I really have to spend time with him. These reports can be done later.

“Are you sure you want to hang out in the coffee shop?” He clarified while on the other line.

“Yes, I have not seen and spent time with you properly. Let’s go out, please. I won’t see you for two weeks so….”

“Okay, we could just hang out at your apartment but if that’s what you want,  I’ll see you in 30.”

“Thank you! See you.”

He arrived on time like what he said. He’s wearing a cap, which I particularly like and know that he didn’t have time to style his hair like he always does. He must have rushed getting dressed and heading here.

 He must have rushed getting dressed and heading here

“Hi. You look nice.” I greeted.

“You do too. Nice to see you with the sunlight reflecting on your face. I thought my girlfriend had become afraid of it.”

“Funny. I don’t recognise her these days. She must have been sucked right in by the cases she’s reviewing and reports she’s preparing.”

“Oh third person referencing. I guess you’re out of your wits while preparing and reading your reports huh?”

“You don’t say. Thank you for agreeing to go out today. I need some breather.”

“It’s a pleasure, plus I haven’t seen you relax in a while so this is a welcome sight.”

We arrived at the coffee shop we frequent near our campus. We like it here because people don’t get too noisy, only when students start to talk about whatever they are studying. Plus this place is always a respite for us all.

I got out of the car and the sun is really shining too brightly

I got out of the car and the sun is really shining too brightly. I must have been cooped up for so long in my office and in my apartment that I had to squint after.

Surprisingly it was empty, so we went to our usual spot. Usually this place can get crowded but I guess we picked the right time and we got the spot we always sit at. Sean went to the counter to order and I fixed our stuff at the table.

We’re in the middle of talking about my upcoming trip for Johann’s graduation when his adviser spotted us and said hello. He’s with his wife, who’s also a professor in our University.

“Sean! Hello!” He tapped Sean’s shoulder.

“Sir! Hello, how are you?” He said brightly. This professor is one of Sean’s favorite ones. Well, they’ve spent almost 7 years together for sure you’ll have familiarity.

“Good, we just dropped by to get our coffee fix before we head back to the campus.”

His wife said hello to Sean and I. I’ve met them a couple of times when we were invited for birthdays and other parties.

“I see you two are having a down time. How’s your internship going, Jamie?”

“Almost done Sir. But it’s getting exhausting so we’re out here getting coffee.”

I offered them to take the empty seats on our table and they obliged. They must have needed a break as well. We continued catching up a bit about the usual stuff that keeps us busy.

“Have you decided yet?” His professor asked and I got curious what it’s about.

“No sir. It’s something to think over for a while. So many considerations.” Sean was looking at me when he said that. I don’t know what they are talking about.

“Think hard, it’s something you should really consider. It’s a great opportunity.” He then turned to me and I had to switch my confused look to an interested one even if I don’t understand it, yet.

“I will.”

After the pause, his professor spoke again.

“We should get going. I’m sorry to take your precious time together. Enjoy your afternoon.”

I think his professor sensed that I don’t really get what they are talking about and decided to leave us be. When they left us, I had to ask what it was all about.

“What is he referring to?”

“Oh that, it’s just really not big of a deal.” he’s dodging my question.

“Not a big deal but he said you should consider it and it’s a great opportunity.”

“Okay, I didn’t know when to tell you yet because you’re quite swamped with a lot of things so I was looking for the right timing. I thought I could today but he beat me to it.” He sighed.

“It’s fine, you know you can tell me. What is it?” I’m not mad, just curious.

“I got offered a scholarship for a PhD.”

That is huge news.

“That is such great news! Congratulations!! Sean! I’m so proud of you. Full ride?”

“Yes, full ride. Everything within a given timeframe of course but full ride.”

Getting considered for a scholarship is already a great accomplishment, getting offered one is a whole new level. We talked about the program they were considering for him. He told me he was approached by the committee when he was presenting his project and potential ones in a meeting a few weeks back. I urged him to accept it but he said he’s not too sure because of the requirements.

I hope he decides to accept. Very rare that a scholarship is offered to you on a plate. He said he wanted to change the subject and asked about my trip that’s going to be in a few days.

“Let’s not talk about that anymore, I haven’t really decided yet. I’ll drive you to the airport on Monday before I head to work.”

I guess he’s still processing it and making sure he makes the right decision.

PhD is a whole new level altogether. I plan on getting one too because that was my goal really, but he didn’t seem to be too thrilled about it.

I guess we can talk about it when I get back.