Chapter 22

I woke up to my phone vibrating. I can’t seem to find it on my side table and got up to turn my night lamp on. Whoever this is, just interrupted my much needed sleep.
“Hello.” I answered, my voice laced with sleep, without looking at who’s calling.

“Happy happy birthday cuz!!! Get up and open this door.”

“Huh?”

“I’m outside your apartment. Get out here.”

That woke me up and I rushed to my door. It’s 2:00AM and this crazy cousin of mine is outside my apartment. I opened it in a rush and I saw her with her luggage, a bouquet of flowers and a bag.

“Took you long enough. Here happy birthday!!! Surprise!!” I hugged my cousin so hard. I missed her.

She gave me the small paper bag and the flowers and took a picture of me.

“Come in! What are you doing here? You didn't tell me you’re coming home!” I exclaimed with excitement

“I took the red eye Jamie so slow down with the questions.”

“Duh If you told me you’re coming home, I would have picked you up.”

“Excuse me, pick me up? You don’t even drive. I took the cab straight here.”

“I could have asked Sean to drive us.” 

“Nope, I wouldn't want to bother him. That handsome chauffeur of yours should get some sleep. Plus I didn’t know if the flight was going to be delayed so I didn’t tell you guys.”

She told me she got the flowers and the gift at the airport. I started preparing her tea in the kitchen while she settles her stuff in the living room. When I got back, she’s already sprawled out on the couch.

“I’m surprised there’s no boyfriend in sight. I thought you just wouldn’t pick up the phone because you’re dead tired.” Rada winked at me and laughed out loud.

“Cut it out. He’s not here. And I'll stop there.” Rolling my eyes while handing her a cup of tea.

“I’m going to shower after tea. You can grill me later at breakfast if I am awake or we can have a quick lunch at the hospital. Pretty sure I’d sleep like a dead log and you’re going to do your yoga so early, don’t wake me up. You can go back to sleep, I know you have work.”

“Okay, I’ll fix the bedding in the room. Towels are in the cabinet, lower right.”

I woke up at 5:00AM to start my day. I didn’t stay up to wait for my cousin to finish whatever she needed to finish before trying to get some sleep. She’s still snoring on the floor and I guess she didn’t get on the bed to avoid waking me up. I left her a note when I left for the hospital that I’ll see her at lunch if she has recovered.

“I’m at the restaurant just a block away. Text me when you’re on your way so that I can have our food prepared.” Rada’s message said.

“Okay got it. See you. I’ll get out of here in 5 mins.”

Sean called me this morning on his way to the factory to greet me Happy Birthday. My parents, friends, and other relatives all sent their birthday messages. My brother called as well during my break when I replied to his message.

“Finally. I’m starving, I haven’t eaten anything yet. How’s your morning, birthday girl?”

“Pretty well. I’m so glad I don’t have sessions today. I’m just going to make my reports so at least I can respond to the greetings.”

“We’re having lunch tomorrow at Aunt and Uncle’s right?”

“Do they know you’re already here? You called them?” I confirmed.

“Yep, I have to visit them all later and during the weekend. I don’t want to be disowned by your parents, grandma, and my parents. I’m only here for a few days for a business trip. I only negotiated to be here today ahead of everyone for your birthday and told them I can handle my accommodation on my own outside the trip schedule. I leave Wednesday though. I wanted to surprise you because you didn’t come visit during your break.”

“Can’t you stay longer? You’ll meet Sean tomorrow at lunch.”

“No can do. This was even decided last minute when they can just send out a contract review and negotiation virtually. Anyway, let’s not talk about work. I’m looking forward to finally meeting your Sean.” She raised her eyebrows up and down.

I threw a tissue paper on her face and laughed at her unsubtle hints.

So glad that my cousin is here, at least I can celebrate with them this weekend. I had to get back after my lunch break to finish off my reports for the week and she had to visit some of our relatives otherwise she’s going to get an earful from her parents.

I didn't want to have a party tonight with friends due to family lunch tomorrow. Sean’s joining us so he’s okay with it and said he’d pick me up at the hospital instead to have a quick dinner. 

“Hi birthday girl!” I saw him in the lobby holding a bouquet of purple flowers.

I quickly went to him because a few people were already staring, this brings me back to that night when he was waiting for me outside the library. How time flies, in a few weeks we’ll be celebrating our first anniversary. A smooth sailing year.

He handed me the flowers when I got to him and gave me a soft kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you

“Thank you. Have you waited long? I’m sorry. I had to leave some papers in my supervisor’s office.”

“No, I was in the parking lot when I messaged you that I was here. Are you hungry? Let’s go? You look tired.”

“Starving. And yes kinda, but dinner. Let’s get dinner. I’m really hungry.” He wrapped his arm around me and we walked towards the parking lot.

Lunch at my parents’ was great. Sean had finally met my cousin and they seemed to get along. I left them in the garden talking about a lot of things. Well if you both have an outgoing personality, I’m pretty sure there’s energy to keep talking about all sorts. His parents also sent me some books as my birthday gift.

I guess they knew that I’d appreciate this more than any other fancy ones and I love the note his parents included in there.