Special Chapter: Through the Night 3

Sean's POV

“Hey man, what’s up? How are you doing?” Pete is on the other line looking like he’s in a hurry and dressing up, he calls me or I call him from time to time to update each other. It’s his birthday today so I had to video call.

“Happy birthday, Pete! How are you doing? I hope you’re having a great day, my friend!” I greeted him happily along with my brightest smile. I miss and am always thankful for this guy, he’s been one of my support systems all these years who listened to all my rants and allowed me to express my feelings without any judgment.

“Thank you, Sean. I am. I’ll go out for dinner later so I’m thankful that you called now. There’s going to be so much noise and I might not be able to answer.”

“You’re having a birthday dinner with your friends?” I’m fishing for information. I’m almost done with school requirements here and I am going home for a vacation in the coming month or earlier.

“Yes. With friends.” He’s not naming them. I already know what he’s trying to avoid. What he doesn't know is that I've openly talked about Jamie to my parents.

“You can mention her name, Pete. It’s not a dagger that pierce through my heart anymore.” That got his attention and the look on his face on the screen when I said that screams so much more.

“You’re not going to cry if I say her name? Not going to wallow, throw a fit, or be a little sad boy when I do?” This made me chuckle.

“You can mention Jamie’s name, Pete.” His eyes went wide with surprise that I said her name first.

“Holy mother…. You said her name after what… almost three years?”

“I’ve said her name quite a few times already. Not just with you. You guys think like you are treading dangerous waters whenever I talk to you. I’m fine.”

“I can see that you are.” He looked happy for me.

“So….?” I urged him to continue.

“Ah yes, I’m having dinner with my girlfriend, our friends are coming and of course Jamie is dropping by as well. She wouldn’t miss this dinner party for sure.”

“Is she bringing anyone to your birthday dinner?” I had to ask bluntly because I will never be able to get him to spill.

“Oh, I hear acceptance in your tone. Interesting.” I laughed at how he’s dodging my question. Them and their subtle art of veering away from certain topics, most often Jamie and if she’s dating someone.

“Pete…”

“What if she does? What are you going to do about it?”

“Well… that’s for another phone call I will make with you, I won’t ruin your birthday.” I told him honestly. Because if she does, I may have to have a conversation with myself once again.

Pete probably saw my look of defeat and wanted to spare me the hurt.

“No she is not. She has not for a while, as far as I know.”

That is such a relief. Here I am ready to hear that she’s seeing someone, which I will gladly accept even if it would hurt and would take me another round of moving on.

“What if she does, in the near future?” I probed.

“Then we will all be happy for her because she deserves it. That should include you too.”

“I know I will be. What if it’s me she brings?”

“Sean, what are you playing at?”

“Here goes. I need your help when I get back home Pete, I know it’s your birthday today but I guess I’d take the opportunity to talk to you about this.”

“Wait, wait, you’re saying you’re coming back home?”

“Yes, in a month or maybe earlier, depends on how fast I could finish all my tasks here. I’m just submitting a few last requirements and I’m going to have a quick vacation.”

“That is awesome! I have not seen you in so long!” He exclaimed.

“I’m not going home to see you, man.” I joked to burst his bubble.

“Shut up, can a friend not celebrate? Even if I know you aren’t, I’m still glad you’re coming home! Anyway what do you need?”

“Thanks, Pete. Just very simple. Don’t tell her I’m coming home but please help me get a chance to meet her. I will do anything for you, anything I swear, just help me out again with this one. Like you did the first time.”

“You’ll do anything for me, anything that I will ask you to do? Is that right?” That look of mischief is so evident in his face.

“Pete, come on man, help your best friend out. But yes, anything. Name it. Just not the things that will get me in trouble with authorities.”

“I will help without any second thought because it’s for you and Jamie but as your friend, please tell me, is this for real? Are you ready with the consequences if you know, she doesn’t come to terms with getting back with you again just yet?”

“I hope so, if she’s going to have me back. It’s always her decision Pete, but I will work so hard to get her back. There isn’t anyone else that could measure up to her. No matter how sappy that sounds to anyone that would hear my reasons.”

“Okay, stop it, you don’t need to convince me. We’ll plan it out.”

We talked for a few more minutes to give him the details of my flight back home and how we’re going to pull this off because as we both know, Jamie is very difficult to surprise.

I got busier the days leading up to my flight back to ensure that I didn't miss out on any of my requirements to finally graduate. I’m taking a vacation before I do anything else for my career and I hope during that time, I have Jamie in my life back again.

My apartment is looking so bare now that I am packing my suitcase, some books were donated and I sold a few of my furniture. My other stuff which I wanted to keep was already shipped back home.

I’ll be back here soon to finalize my papers but I’d be staying in a hotel or a short term apartment.

I hope by then I can show Jamie around and tell her stories of each place I stayed to get me through the nights and years.