Chapter 26.1

It’s a small room on the second floor of this place. It’s kinda dark and I don’t know what to expect.

After a few seconds, the lights turned on one by one. There’s a table in the middle of this room, decorated with a few hanging lights to help set the mood and I see him in the middle holding flowers for me.

I walked closer to him and he smiled. The one that’s always reserved for me, the “this is only for Jamie” smile. I don’t know what he’s planning on doing honestly but whatever he’s going to do I’m sure he thought of it well. This place has been prepared for us.

He handed me the flowers when I got closer.

“Happy anniversary! I’m sorry I lied about having something come up. I’ve been here the entire afternoon preparing this for you.”

“Hi! Happy anniversary!” I gave him a peck on the lips and he gave one in return. I gave him another and he returned it back. We’re never going to end so I put my bag on the chair after and he gestured for me to sit.

“I’m actually your surprise, waiting here for you, nothing else.” He chuckled.

“So you mean to say, you made me go up here, play a “Where’s Sean” scavenger hunt that could have turned into an actual hunt for food because I’m hungry and you’re the surprise? Tsk.” I told him playfully.

“Ouch. You’re not surprised that I am here waiting for you? Aaww that hurts.” He’s playing along.

“You should be the one surprised, since I didn’t devour you right after getting inside this room. You made me work for it and I’m so hungry right now.” I gave him a sideways glance.

“You could though.” He winked.

Oh what a flirt.

“I’ll think about it.” I winked back and laughed at his expression.

The food was served and this is actually very well thought out. Simple yet plays around the ones I preferred and they all taste so good. While enjoying all that’s being served to us, I decided to ask a few questions.

“What’s this place? It doesn’t seem like it’s really a restaurant. You rented this whole place for us?”

“This is actually some friends’ private place, you’ve met them already. They don’t announce this that much. If you noticed downstairs there are a few tables and a whole lot of books shelves. This isn’t a cafe really but a library combo academy for kids whose parents cannot afford after school activities for their children. The other rooms here on the second floor like this one are used for free classes. I just borrowed this one room for us. Cleared it out and decorated it like this. Some kids helped this afternoon before you came here.”

“Wow.”

“If you’re going to ask how much money I spent, cause I know you’ll do later. I’ll spare you time, I didn’t spend anything to rent out the place but the food we are eating. I promised to teach here though on my free weekends for those who are struggling with science and math. I volunteered your time for it too, sorry we’re a package deal.” 

Now that’s what I call a surprise. Not grand but meaningful.

“That’s your surprise huh?”

“Uhm, I told you I’m your surprise.”

“I get you everyday, I’m not calling you a surprise anymore. You’re my daily present.”

“How did you get so cheesy?”

“I got most of it from you.” I stuck my tongue out and he chuckled at my response.

“Well, yes it is, kind of. You’ve been telling me that you want to volunteer to something meaningful this year and I reckon this would fit your criteria. There are a lot of smart good kids here but the only problem is their circumstances hinder them. They just need the help from those who are able, like us. Our time will be spent well here.”

“Thank you for this. The dinner, the thought behind it, the time you spent preparing the place. Those crazy polaroids that absolutely had nothing to do with any of this but nonetheless fun.  Everything. It’s beautiful.”

“You’re welcome.”

“This is my only gift for you.” I handed him a letter. “Don’t read it here. Read it when you get home.”

“Okay, I will.” He kept the letter inside his suit jacket.

Sean stood up after we finished our food and I gave him a questioning look.

“Now for the last surprise.” He offered his hand and I stood up to take it. A song started playing. I know this song. “Everything” by Lifehouse started.

 “Everything” by Lifehouse started

“Dance with me.” This is a slow dance that I will always accept.

We started dancing to it, it’s one of his favorites. Even if it's quite an old song it would always be played even on our random drives. He said this song always reminds him of me and would always sing along to this very particular part.

“You are the strength,
That keeps me walking.
You are the hope,
That keeps me trusting.
You are the light,
To my soul.
You are my purpose,
You're everything.”

Then after that part, he would always give me a look of content and pure love.

I really do hope I get to be all those for you, all the time. When the song ended, I hugged him tight.

“I love you. Happy Anniversary, Sean.”

“I love you, I love you too, I love you even more. Happy Anniversary.” He hugged me tighter.

There’s nothing any better than this.