Chapter 14

Sean’s POV

Saturday is almost over and we’re finally done addressing the emergency I had since this morning. I’m supposed to be working on my dataset the entire day but I got a call from Charlotte and had to rush to the factory due to the needed machine troubleshooting. I really thought it was just minor but there were issues on the design we started integrating a few days ago.

After almost the entire day of cracking our brains and going over it, we found out that there was a very minute unnoticeable gap in one of the gears we added that’s causing delays and error warnings. There is a need to review the design but everyone agreed to do it next week and call it a day.

It's a good thing I didn’t go home this weekend or else it’ll take me a while to get to the factory. Jamie is at her parents’. She knew what happened this morning when she checked on me but I got pretty busy and only sent her an update when I was heading home. She wouldn't really mind my late replies especially in situations like this plus whenever we’re visiting our parents, we both tend to ignore our phones to spend time with family.

“Are you up for a drink?” Pete is on the other end of the phone.

“I don’t know if I still have the energy to go out tonight, man. I’m pretty beat. Just come over and bring drinks.”

“Yeah, I’ll come over. See you in a few minutes, anything you want to drink?”

“Just soju, I still have some side dishes my mom sent me last week but you can buy food if you want to. See you.”

I need to shower and get these grime off me, it’ll take him a little more than 30 minutes to get here anyway. Pete rarely asks to have drinks with me. It’s usually the other way around so whenever he does, circumstance willing, I won’t refuse the invite. He must be having a hard time these days.

Most of our friends from high school and University are office workers now. Whenever we hang out for drinks, we’d hear their stories and complaints about work. We can keep up but Pete and I cannot really discuss about the demands of graduate school because they cannot relate much. Usually we’ll just hang out with each other to talk about our struggles instead.

At least I have company after this long day and I kinda need his help to process a few things too. The living room was prepped when my doorbell rang, I opened the door and saw him carrying a few bags. Now, it might be a few bottles but this guy has a high alcohol tolerance compared to me.

“Sup, took you awhile.” I greeted and helped him carry the stuff he brought. I see a few chips in here and there’s tteok and fish cake too.

We settled in the living room and switched the channel to a soccer game rerun, we won’t really be paying much attention so the sound is turned to a minimum.

“What’s up?”

“Just needed the usual break.”

“Everything well with your requirements?” I guess I’d do the asking first.

“My adviser is kinda giving me a hard time on my analysis. I went to his office today to consult and it took me almost two hours to go through a chapter. I had to discuss portions of my raw data, go through my inferences and descriptives and still he wants revisions on the interpretations. I really want to graduate soon and I only have this paper, like most of us, chaining me from completely proceeding with my hospital internship.”

He looked dispirited while airing his concern. I understand how it can get frustrating especially when you’ve been adamant about finishing your research.

“That bad? I don’t know much about the theories you guys have but if you need some help running and going through the numbers again, I’d be happy to.” aside from listening, that’s what I think I can offer him.

“I might need your help on that part. I don’t think I can handle more statistics in the next few days. It’s draining. I can always seek inputs from the rest of my friends but they too are going through the loops of getting their research done.”

He continued narrating what happened during the consultation and all I could do was earnestly listen to him rant.

Like I said, he’s got high tolerance and I on the other hand can already feel the alcohol’s effect after a few shots. It doesn't help either that today has been exhausting for me too.

“How are things with your girlfriend?” I know this will be a light topic for him and would also allow me to get some inputs.

“It’s going well, would you believe that? She’s out with her family today so I need to fend for myself. Thanks for being available.” he then winked.

I smacked the back of his head. He laughed at my response and quickly dropped the pun.

“Well, you fare better at relationships than I do. I just lucked out at this one. Really did.” I told him in a serious tone.

“It’s true that we can get lucky but I think it’s just on meeting someone who would fit our description of who’s special. What you do with that luck is all that matters after. You gotta do what you need to do to keep the relationship going and get better as it progresses.”

Thank heavens for Pete and his emphatic side.

“I’m trying my best. It might be too early to tell but with her it's uncomplicated, it feels stable and sure, consistent. That’s just how it is for me. Honestly though, I’m still figuring these things.”

“You’re right about the uncomplicated part, with Jamie, you won’t and don’t have to sugar coat anything. She can see through you, what goes on in that brain of hers is just remarkable. If she’s having a hard time in any aspect, it’s actually pretty hard. She’d know too if it’s your case and she’ll be there for you before you know it.” Pete affirms some of Jamie’s qualities I have observed.

“I’m her total opposite most of the time.”

“As the old saying goes, opposites attract, man. It can't be any better than that. How long have you been seeing each other?”

“Hundred days a few days from now. Surprising her won’t totally work so I’m just going to ask her on a date or anything we could do to celebrate.” I laughed at the thought of how challenging it is to truly surprise Jamie.

“You should read up more on some self help to aid you with that and not just about equipment designs and mechanisms all day.” Pete said in jest while pointing at my bookshelves.

“I got you to help me out, why would I read self help books? Your inputs are even for free. I just have to get you soju and that’s it.”

“Sean, technically speaking I am not that equipped in relational therapy. I’m more exposed on Social Recovery Therapy, that’s what my research is all about. Hmmm, you should try checking this light reading I came across before, hold up let me search it online.”

He scrolled through his phone, searched for the book title and showed me “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman.

“It’s an old book but it’s still very much revered by a lot of people. We also gotta learn how to express our commitment to our significant others right? Just because we’re men doesn't mean we have to live up to what society has initially dictated when it comes to relationships. Maintaining great relationships is all about playing equal roles. So read up. That could help you keep up better.”

I should get this book and take that quiz to figure out what my so-called love language is and perhaps check on Jamie’s too for a better perspective.

Pete left around 11PM when Jamie called for our usual night talk.