Special Chapter: Through the Night 2

Sean's POV

My parents stayed for a week with me before they went on their own vacation. They made sure to visit when it was a school break and I could take days off at the lab. I showed them my campus and toured them around famous places here.

“We should get a few things now, it will save us some time to look for gifts for our relatives and friends.” My mom told Dad one afternoon during our stroll.

“Yeah, we passed by a few interesting shops. I saw a bookstore around here too, we should check it.” My father agreed.

“Bookstore? Why do you need to go to a bookstore?” I was curious, they can get books for whoever they are going to give those to back in Seoul.

My mother was slightly taken aback while my father looked a bit hesitant.

“There might be something interesting there that cannot be found in Seoul. It’s for me.” All he could say and I didn’t bother asking much since my Dad loves to read all sorts of books.

“Okay. Which bookstore? I have one place I go to here if I need to get some text books or references. They have some good english ones too, if you’re looking for those.” I let it slide.

“The one at the corner, near the cafe we stopped by yesterday.” My father answered.

“That’s what I am referring to. Let’s go.”

I heard them talk to each other but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. It sounded like my mother was scolding my father. Must be about carrying those books back home and adding weight to their luggage. Who can blame Mom though, Dad brings so many books in and at times not even reading some of it for months until he remembers.

My parents went around the bookstore when we got there and I let them be. I went to the other side to check a few books that I was meaning to get last week which would help me with my dissertation. I started as early as I could because I don’t want to cram when it’s due. Three years here will go by so fast and before I know it, I’ll be done with all these and go home.

“Sean, we’re done. We should pay now, please help your father there.” my mother pointing at my Dad near the register.

The shop owner was ringing in the few books my father got. There were some travel books about Germany, he likes to collect those and add it to his library. There were also a few books that reminded me of someone that I know would be interested in them.

“Are you expanding your literary collection, Dad?” I held two books and showed it to him.

“Well, uh, yes I am. Your mom too. We spend our afternoon reading these days, when we can.”

“These too? These are all in english, father.” I sounded serious holding up two more books. By now I think I know who they are going to give these books to.

“Fine fine, these are for Jamie. All four books.” My mother said like Jamie’s name rolls off their tongue so naturally.

I have never heard them mention Jamie in the last year. They know our story, the reason why we are in this state. Why we probably could say at one point in the near future that it was a great relationship but it had to end that way.

“Ah, you talk to her?” I looked at the books and was hesitant to ask but I had to.

I can see in their eyes that they don’t want to open wounds that they think are healed. They are still open Mom and Dad, I’m still nursing them all these years, but slowly healing.

“Yes.” Was the simple response my father gave.

“It’s okay, you can tell me, you can mention her name. I’m glad that she talks to you both. Despite.”

We decided to stay near the coffee shop next to the bookstore to talk. I guess this was overdue.

“Don’t worry, we don’t mention you to her. She’s not bombarded with things that goes on about you here.” My mom assured me.

“She doesn’t ask about me?” trying not to sound sad about it but failed I think.

“Son, I’m sure she would want to. But I think to spare you both from pain? We refrain from mentioning anything about you or her. We don’t see her often, if that’s what you’re going to ask. Just once or twice a month if she is not busy.” Dad said full of caution.

“That’s nice. To be honest, her parents and brother call me sometimes for some life updates. Funny thing is, they never mention her either.” I smiled at how our families try their best to check on how we are doing, separately.

“We talk to her parents too sometimes.”

“What?” Now this is shocking. They’ve only ever met twice I think, one in a golf game that Dad invited them to and a dinner.

“Yeah, golf. From time to time. You know how us old people need to distress and enjoy life. Especially when we are nearing retirement.” Dad just said simply.

“How is she?”

I think I’ve come to terms that I will be okay hearing any news about her, even the one thing that I dread, her dating someone new and eventually falling in love with that person. As long as she is happy, genuinely, I will be too. Even if that sounds hypocritical but I can and I will be, it will just take a while to accept.

“She’s better. Like you. She’s slowing down on her internship even took a break when she was able to finish the assigned case to her to spend time with her family in the US.” My mom said, smiling.

“You both made a very mature decision at your age. It’s just a matter of how this story will truly end for you both. But we are sure that this will make you both stronger, wiser people who have grown better.”

“I guess so. I’m glad she is and I hope she’s happy. I don’t know anything about how she is doing. Even Pete does not mention her. Everyone’s trying to protect us both, even until now.” I laughed lightly at the thought.

“She is happy these days. We see it in her eyes. We hope that you are too, Sean.” Mom said while caressing my head.

“I’m going to get there, Mom. I am getting there. It’s just taking a bit of time for me.” I assured them both.

Their visit was something I thought I would never need, but I did. Having my parents here gave me assurance that everything will be alright. We didn’t talk much about Jamie after leaving the coffee shop, maybe because they still want to shield me from pain.

548 days -  one year and a half of not hearing anything about Jamie and it took a visit from my parents to tell me how she is doing.

That was the last thing I needed to be more than determined about what I wanted to do. To get Jamie back in my life. I just need to finish this off for the next 516 days and I will show up in front of her all better and have grown up as she wished.

The very best version of me she would need for the rest of her life.