Chapter 6

Jamie's POV

He called me as soon as he got home and we continued talking about random stuff for maybe more than two hours. It was around 3:00AM when we called it a night to get some rest. He’s to visit his parents this weekend and I have to go home see mine and my brother as well.

I finally got his specific schedules, he goes to the campus lab for 3 days to work on their research design and development while the rest of the week is at the partner-factory off campus for the actual testing, implementation, and observation. I do not know much about the world of mechanical engineering and its intricacies but I like hearing him talk about them as if these machines have a personality of their own. On days we don’t get to spend time together, we’d exchange messages or call each other.

I like how this relationship is going, we don’t really rush and are not too demanding of each other’s time. We both understand how our life can be hectic - this is how I pictured a relationship should be. Sometimes we’d get dinner or we’d stay at the café to work on our requirements or read but like most days, we end up just talking about a lot of things rather than do actual school work. 

I was at the library when I decided to check how he’s doing and if he’s headed this way. We are supposed to meet after his class which was a little over 30 minutes ago yet he hasn’t sent his usual “I’m done with my class, what are you up to?”.

“Heeeeeey, what are you up to? Your class was over a few minutes ago. I thought I’d check. I’m still in my study room. Should I wait here or should I go to the entrance and wait for you there instead?”

“Hi! So sorry, I’m running late. I got caught up with something but I’m almost at the library. Don’t wait for me outside. I’ll message you once I’m there then you can come down. Almost there. =)”

After a few minutes my phone vibrated and it was Sean, “I’m outside. =) See you.”

I already packed my stuff before I got his message so he didn't have to wait long.

“I’m heading down. =)”

He was standing by the door, wearing his usual white polo shirt, sleeves folded until his elbow and khaki pants. I noticed some girls were staring at him. Who wouldn't stare though? He’s looking dashing while holding a bouquet of flowers. He smiled when he saw me approaching, I’m starting to know that smile.

 He smiled when he saw me approaching, I’m starting to know that smile

“Hey, you.”

“I’m sorry I was late, flowers for you.” he said and handed me the bouquet he was holding. These were a set of purple flowers, which I love. Mental note: I got flowers today.

“Thank you, they are beautiful.” I uttered with a shy smile but deep inside the butterflies in my stomach are fluttering like crazy. I smelled the flowers and the fragrance was sweet but subtle. I don’t know about us girls but our automatic reaction whenever we receive flowers is to smell them. Why is that?

“I had to drop by the flower shop after class. I’ve been meaning to get you flowers and saw these perfect purple ones and thought I should finally get you one tonight.” so, this was the reason why he was running late.

We agreed on going out for dinner, it’s been a week since we last saw each other and it was even shorter than usual, he just dropped by the café and met me and Pete for coffee before heading to his meeting about a lab work that week.

“What do you want for dinner?”

“Uhm, I’m okay with some chicken. I don’t want to eat a lot tonight. I had a full meal at lunch, our professor treated everyone at the lab. If you want something else though, I won’t mind either.” I told him honestly.

“Hmm, just right. I’m craving for some chicken and beer.” then he followed up with “Can I drink beer?” asking permission if he could drink. I mean, that’s a first - he’s giving me the rights to tell him off?

“Ah, you can drink if you want to. I don’t really mind. Anyway you’re not driving, so it’s fine.” I answered casually but reeling from that gesture.

We decided to go to a famous chicken and beer place around the campus. I’m heading home right after this to get ready for tomorrow’s quick visit to my parents. I won’t be staying at home the entire weekend so Sean and I agreed to meet on Sunday at our usual café.

After dinner, like a routine, he walked me home. We’ve held hands before but tonight I noticed his hand was a little cold and clammy than usual. I decided to shrug it off and continued our little talks.

“Thank you for taking me home tonight and for dinner.” preparing for our goodbyes. He would usually walk me up by my apartment door. He’s looking at me differently though like he’s having an internal battle going on his head.

Then I saw him take out an envelope from his right packet. “Read this when you get inside. Don’t read it now, please.” he stated a bit nervously. What has gotten into him? The night was going well.

“Okay, if that’s what you want.” I looked at him intently.

“I can’t wait to see you again on Sunday.” he said with a hint of sadness in his tone.

“I’ll call you tomorrow as soon as I get to my parents house. And I can’t wait to see you again this Sunday too.”

His shoulder rose as if he’s taking a deep breath and he slowly reached in for my face. His palm, a bit warm now, lingered while his thumb slowly brushed my cheek with so much care. The way he’s looking at me at this very moment is making my knees weak and I’m starting to catch my breath.

Without a word, his face slowly inched closer and he gave me a soft simple kiss. My heart started beating fast, like it’s pumping so much blood that you can feel even through your ears.

It wasn’t that deep of a kiss, it was simple, careful, innocent but filled with affection, like any other first kiss could be. We pulled away after a few seconds that felt like minutes. He’s looking at me with eyes filled with adoration and smiled, the one I definitely now know that’s exclusively for me. I can't help but smile back but I quickly looked down after realizing what just happened.

“Jamie…” his hand lifting my chin up. All I could answer was, “hmmm..” then he broke that silence with, “I’ll miss you. I’ll see you on Sunday.”

I exhaled the air I think I was holding and answered sweetly, “I’ll miss you too.”

After a few moments of staring at each other neither one was trying to move, I decided to be the first one to break, “I should get inside and you might miss your train ride. Good night. Please take care on your way home.”

“Yeah I should get going, uhm good night and I’ll call you as soon as I get home. Bye.” He left despite our hesitation to part ways.

He sent a message like he promised when he got home and said his goodnight. I was assuming we’re going to talk but I guess we’ll have to wait until tomorrow and I still have to prepare for my early trip home.

I saw the envelope he gave me earlier on my nightstand. I totally forgot about it after that kiss and the quick texting then packing. I decided to read it before going to sleep.