𝐒𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧: 𝐈𝐈𝐈

Joseph

Joseph

Sunday, December 6, 2002

Morning

The train rumbled by warehouses and tall buildings, but all I could think of was the glare of the sun on my face, which caused me to squint. From behind me, I could hear children playing with toys and conversing, as well as the rustle of newspapers. Outside the window, everything was a haze, a smudged picture.

"You ride this train too?" I heard a familiar voice say. 

I sat up, clearing my throat. "Hey, Sarah..." 

She sat down, moving her hair behind her ear. "Shouldn't you be with your boyfriend?" 

I glanced out the window, catching a glimpse of a stray cat. "No, he's at work" 

She pulled her phone out, raising it in the air. "Smile" I looked at the camera posing as if it were a photoshoot. She took the picture, tapping away on her phone. "All my friends think you're hot, by the way," she giggled.

"Really?"

She laid her phone on her lap. "Yes really, I wish you'd hang out with everyone some time."

"I do-" she gave me a look. "Okay fine maybe I don't but I say hi"

She rolled her eyes. "How about you go out tonight with me and Pete?" Going out with them sounds like trouble, but I guess I owe Pete...

"Sure, I'll go... but aren't I a bit old?"

She mushed my arm. "You are only 24. Stop acting 30!" the train stopped, causing a few people to get up.

"Wait, how old are you?"

"I'm 22, Joseph. See, you're proving my point," she teased, nudging my shoulder. My phone buzzed, taking both of our attention. 

╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮

Sebastian

Come home, we have to talk.

╰━━━━━━━━━━╯

I sighed, putting my phone in my pocket. "I gotta go but see you tonight".

She smiled, waving me goodbye.

...

The ride home was long and tedious, but that's the fun of taking trains to random places, right? You see new faces and new places. How things have changed... now it's just a thinking ride. But I should focus on what's going on now. I opened the front door, and every ounce of happiness drained from me. He was sitting on the couch, drinking vodka.