𝐒𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧: 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

Joseph

Joseph

Friday, December 18, 2002

Morning

Brushing my teeth had never been more fun than with Lance. We danced to some music with toothpaste-filled mouths, grooving to the beat. Something we only did as children. Some of my happiest memories bubbled up with every sway of my body before a notification interrupted the music. I spit out my toothpaste, tapping the message. It was a link from Sarah. I opened it and my heart stopped.

"Jose?" Lance chuckled. "Whatcha looking at?"

I just stared at it, and with every second, something inside me sizzled. "What is this?" I asked, shoving the phone in his hand. He looked at it and I walked away to my bedroom, running my hands through my hair. I wasn't going to cry, I didn't wanna cry.

"Joseph, it's not what it looks like, okay?"

"Do you still have feelings for her, Lance?"

"No! No! I want you!" He stressed, grabbing my hands. "I'm engaged to you! I bought a house with you!"

I shrugged him off. "Lance, this was taken at night! I was asleep! You do know how this looks, right?"

"Yes, and I swear to you it's not that, okay? Just trust me, Joseph..."

"What else have you done, Lance?"

"Nothing! Joseph, I love you! I want you!"

Every single thing ran through my head, and the thing with my brother popped up. It felt like someone was punching me over and over. My eyes watered and the image of him and my brother just splattered my mind. Like paint. "Did you and my brother ever do anything?"

"Jose... No! Can you just give me a chance to explain!"

"Why?" I retorted in anger. "So I can hear a sorry and some bullshit I love you? Hear you explain how much I mean to you?"

"I didn't cheat! Just let me explain, Joseph!"

"I'M TIRED OF HEARING EXCUSES!"

"IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE, I DIDN'T CHEAT!"

"Well, those pictures say different! Your actions say different! You left while I was asleep to see your ex-wife!" I sobbed sitting on my bed. "You embarrassed me, Lance..."

"Joseph, I didn't cheat! Please, just believe me..." he pleaded, getting on his knees. "I'll fix this, okay? I'll pay every outlet to take it down..."

I didn't have the energy to respond. I just thought of the ring on my finger and everything we talked about. That moment on the balcony just played in my head like a record. A bitter-sweet record, that only made me more emotional. Tears ran down his face and I wanted to make them go away, but his actions wouldn't let me. "She said she'd leave me alone if I just came to the restaurant and gave her one last goodbye! She kissed me! I swear!"