𝐒𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧: 𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Joseph

Joseph

Wednesday, December 16, 2002

Morning

He brought me to the country club and all my childhood memories bubbled up. Running around pulling little pranks on the members, throwing parties at midnight. It was always an experience if you were with us. The bright sunny sky in December was an experience. It hadn't looked like this in weeks, and it couldn't have picked a better time than with Lance.

"So we're engaged..." I giggled, taking a sip of my strawberry smoothie. "What's the next step?"

He chuckled, rubbing my palm. "Step?"

"Well, I don't know! Like, aren't we supposed to live together and plan stuff?"

He smiled, taking a sip of my smoothie. "I'm gonna be busy with something today, but we'll get to that promise."

Kids ran around our table, playing cops and robbers from what I could tell. The want for a future got even greater, and a smile formed on my face. Imagining him being the father of my children was a dream. "Busy with what?"

"Work," he responded, kissing my cheek. "I'll make it up to you after promise."

I knew I'd have to go back to normal soon enough, but it felt nice to be around him. To be with my fiance, but of course that only last a while till it's over. "We're engaged Lance, I thought we'd figure this out..."

"Let's just take it one step at a time..."

"Lance, we're engaged. If you wanted to take it slow, you could have just asked me out." "I thought—" I stammered.

"You thought what?"

I thought we would plan all this. Plan our future together? "Nothing..."

He rubbed my hand. "Joseph, what do you want me to do?"

"I just wanted—" A ringing went off, interrupting me and he just stared at me, trying to decide. "Answer it..." I sighed.

He kissed my lips, mouthing a sorry before walking off to the side. There was a wave of sadness in me, but I swiftly rubbed it off, getting up out of the seat. Walking around the club with just a smoothie was calming. Just watching the kids running around and the few people sitting around talking was so small, but meant a lot. I glanced back at Lance, who was talking on the phone in deep conversation.

My smoothie had run out, and I instantly made my way to the bartender. "What can I get you?" she asked.

"Just another smoothie, please."

She smiled, taking some strawberries and ice out. "So, what's it like dating him?"

"Lance? It's nice. He's sweet and thoughtful."