chapter 33

Taylor 

Kaine holds my hand while carrying his bag intl the other. We walk down the stairs to his car," I'll be back in a few days." He sets his bag down by his feet and pulls me into a hug." Everything will work out. You just need to have a little faith." " I know." I take a deep breath taking in his scent. " I'll call you when I get to my parents house," he kisses the top of my head. I pull back," okay," I peak his lips then I move my arms. He grabs his bag and puts it in the back seat when a gust of wind starts moving in our direction. I look over to clearing as a small purple circle levates. Guards rush from their post to the clearing with weapons in hand circling the portal in the sky. The purple circle starts to get bigger by the second," what's going on?" Niome and Grace rush outside," get inside." 

Grace pushes Niome back into the castle. I move to get closer and Kaine pulls me behind him." Move," I walk around Kaine. He grabs my wrist," you don't know what's coming out of there. You need to be prepared, " I look at him for a few seconds before stepping back. As the seconds tick by the portal gets bigger and bigger. My heart pumps loud in my chest to the point I can't hear anything else. A jean covered leg steps out and my hands warm up. A spear appears in my hand when Nayyirah steps out then her two guards. The portal disappears leaving the clearing quiet. My heart slows down," what is this," Nayyirah holds her hands up. " Put your weapons down," I walk across the clearing. I stop in front of Nayyirah and look her up and down then pull her into a hug.

 " What happened? You were supposed to call," I lean back. " It was one thing after another. Someone destroyed the king's portal so we had to travel three days to get to the other one." I look at her, there's something off about her. " Let's get you in the castle then you can tell us all about it." I wrap my around through hers and we walk to the castle. The guards follow behind us," how was the fairy Kingdom?" " It's so beautiful. The color of everything is so bright and vibrant. It's like I have never seen those colors before,"she gushes. Kaine steps in front of us," it's good to have you back kiddo," he pulls her into a hug. His face scrunches  up then he pulls and looks at her," is something wrong?" " No, everything is fine," he let go of her and stepped back. Grace and Niome run down the stairs. " Nay," Niome pulls her I to a hug.

 They embrace for a few seconds before she pulls back," are you okay?" " I'm fine, Ryan and Noah made sure of that." " We're happy that you're back, safe and sound," Grace moves Niome out the way and gives Nay a hug. " Take Nay in the castle while I talk to Kaine." Niome grabs Nayyirah's hand and pulls her up the stairs. All the guards follow behind them up the stairs. After everyone  was out of ear shot I move closer to Kaine. " That's not Nayyirah," he says in a low tone. " How can you tell," I look at him. " Her scent is different. Your scent never changes. She smells more sweet. Not like she used to." I nod my head," I was feeling that she was off too. The way she was talking. I'll talk to the guards that went with her on the trip when they're by themselves." 

Kaine nods his head," be safe. You don't know what that person is capable of and I don't need to hear that you were hurt while I'm gone." " You won't," I place my hands on his chest. " I'll keep this on the hush until you get back. I'll keep an eye on whoever that is and talk to the guards." " Okay, I'll call you tonight " he kisses me then lets go. I watch him grab his bag and throw it in the back seat before getting in the driver seat. I continue watching him as he drives away. I take a few seconds before turning around and walking into the castle. They didn't get far, the council surrounded  Nayyirah. " Was the immortal dealt with?" Nayyirah smiles," yes, she won't be a problem any more." " Good," Fred pats Nayyirah's shoulder.

 " Let's go sit down and I'll have one of the maids bring us something to snack on," Daphne waves everyone to the sitting room. The council, Grace, Niome and Nayyirah all head to the sitting room. All the guards go back to their post while Daphne stops a maid. The guards that went to the fairy realm pick up their luggage," excuse me." I walk over to them," yes ma'am," the dark haired one speaks. " I would like to speak with you about the time spent in the fairy world." They both look at each other," yes, what do you want to know?" " It can wait until you settle in. How about we meet back here in an hour." They both nod their head then walk down the hall to the guards' quarters. I turn around to Daphne standing directly behind me," what was all that about?" 

"Just wanting a report from the guards as well." She nods," yes, we need to know everything that happened. We can't be unaware of things." We walk to the sitting room quietly," Taylor, I know that everything that happened to you from the royal council wasn't very moral but we are here to protect the girls. We have a common goal and I would like for us to unite to keep the girls safe." " That would be great, but if I see or hear anything that's not in the benefit for the girls. We will have a problem." Daphne nods her head," I'll take those terms." We walk into the sitting with everyone sitting around Nayyirah while me and Daphne stand in the back listenin." After we investigated the murder victims, I went back to the fairy King and requested to speak to you all but the portal was destroyed. 

I spotted the immortal in spirit form and fought her." " You said her and spirit form?" Everyone turns towards me," yes, she has red eyes?" Nicole, how did she get out there? " Do you know this person," Nayyirah studies me." I might but I'll need to put a face and name together, but continue," I wave at her. " The king called a meeting-." What could she need from the fairy realm that she had to go personally? " Did you ever find out what she was after?" Nayyirah's body goes stiff," no," she shakes her head. " It's just odd that you never found out what she was up to." " Yeah, but she's a problem no more," Nayyirah smiles. Whoever  took her to the fairy realm will bring trouble. I need eyes on them at all times.

 Niome needs to be protected while I send word to the fairy Kingdom.Nayyirah finishes her story and the council celebrates." The peace between us and the fairy Kingdom rests on your hands," the council shakes her hands before leaving. " That was so awesome," Niome damn near jumps out of her seat. " You have to tell me more about the boys over there and this Prince Sebastian," Niome drags Nayyirah out of the sitting room.   Don't go too far. I'll still need a word with Nayyirah." " Okay," Niome yells, still dragging Nay down the hall. Grace walks over to me," this is great. She's back and not harmed." " Yeah, but there's something off about her." " It could be a lot of things." " You're right," I  turn and walk out of the sitting room. " That is why I need to talk with the guards and make sure." 

Two pairs of footsteps are heard walking behind me. I stop at the door and Grace stands next to me," what are you saying," she leans in a whisper. " Kaine said that she smells off. Not her natural scent but something else." " It could be from the food she eat or the type of soap she used to wash with."  The two guards appear before us and I move away from Grace. "Thank you gentlemen for coming. We just need to hear from you what happened in the fairy realm." The blond opens his mouth then closes it," can we speak somewhere private?" " Yes, follow me," Daphne leads us down the hall to her personal office. " No worries about anyone over hearing us. I had a witch put a spell that blocks all sound when the door closed," she closes the door.