chapter 38

The fox runs right into my arms," hey boy." I run his face," your up." The old man closes the door then walk to the fireplace setting wood down. " We thought you weren't going to wake into the morning." " I tired my body out," I kept rubbing the fox." The old man takes his coat off," your friend is in the other spare room." My body steels at the mention of Nayyirah," she got some serious magic put on her." " How do you know," I keep my eyes on him as he sits by the fireplace. " When my wife went to check on you both. Fairy dust covered all over her clothes and hair. She said that whoever put her to sleep used a lot. She won't be up for another day or two." Fuck, we can't sit here while they search this forest. " Here you go dear," the old lady comes in with a bowl and cup. " Thank you," I take it from her hand. 

The smell hits my nose making my stomach growl like a wild animal. " When was the last time you ate," the old woman walks over to her husband. She kisses him on the cheek then turns to me," breakfast yesterday." I pick the spoon up from out of the bowl and slurp it. This is some good soup, I  eat while they talk. " I've been spotting more men in the forest than normal," he looks at me. I stop eating, fuck I knew they were going to come but not this fast. " They must be looking for something for the Duke," I pick my spoon back up." Or they could be looking for someone," he looks me in the eyes. The room goes silent as I continue to eat," it doesn't matter what they're looking for. It matters what you two are doing in the forest in this bad condition." 

The old lady  gets up and walks over to me," look honey we know that you're running but we need to know why so we can help you." She place her hand on my shoulder. Can I trust  them? They haven't told on us yet but I can't tell them everything. I take a deep breath," we're on the run from the Duke." " For what," she grips my shoulder tighter. " My friend is a maid for his daughter. She broke something that belonged to the prince. Before the Duchess could strike her I interference. We were thrown in the cells but were able to escape." I look down at the soup," it's okay honey. We'll help you as much as we can." I look up at her," thank you." " Your welcome sweetie. I'm Dottie and my husband, Carl."

 " Nice meeting you, I'm S- Sean." " Nice meeting you sweetie. Finish eating and we'll go check on your friend," she stands up and leaves out the living room. I nod my head and pick my spoon up. After a few seconds of me eating, I feel a heat gaze on me. I look up and Carl is looking up," yes sir." " Nothing," he gets up and walks away. I continue easing the soup, I need to keep my eyes open. He's giving me a bad feeling.  I finish eating, feeling better with energy. I walk in the direction they went but stop just before entering the kitchen. " Dot, you don't know if he's telling the truth or not about this. They could be on the run from the Duke because they stole from them." " Carl, for that to be in a deep state from the fairy dust this is more than what that boy said.

They are running for their lives. The least we can do is give them shelter and let them recover before they leave." " Fine but if they do anything wrong I'll be bringing the guards here." " Okay, Carl," I hear footsteps walking across the floor then kissing noise. Thank the fairies, I wait a few more seconds before walking into the kitchen. They break apart," your done." Dottie walks over to me grabbing the bowl out of my hand then placing it on the counter." Let's check on your friend," she walks past me into the living room. I follow down the hall past the door I walked out of earlier. The hall has another two rooms," the bathroom is the last door." She opens the second door to a dark room. She flips the light on and Nayyirah lays under the covers slowly breathing. 

We go to either side of the bed," touch her hair and skin." I reach my hand in her hair feeling little particles. I pull my hands away to see fairy dust all over my palms. They had to spend hours spraying her with fairy dust for it to still cover her body. " Here," Dottie hands me a cloth. I grab it wiping my hands," let's remove the fairy dust from her skin and hair. It might lessen the effects I'm her." I take the cloth and wipe her face while Dot does her arm. I gently move the cloth over her face, taking my time getting the dust out of every crack before I moved to her arm. Dottie grabs more clothes while I  sit on the edge of the bed. I lean next to Nayyirah's ear," Nay, I'm sorry I wasn't there to protect you but you need you to get up. We have to expose Miracle to my family." 

Nayyirah lays there just breathing. Dottie comes back with fresh clothes. We both took our time wiping the dust out of her hair then off her clothes. We hear a visible change in her breathing," she should wake sooner." " Let's hope so," I give Dottie my clothes. " Let's get some rest," Dottie walks out of the room. I pull the covers up then kiss Nayyirah's head," wake up soon." She sighs from my touch, it's working. I walk out the room and go to the room I walked out of early. I turn the light on and look around the room. The room is small with white walls. The bed is sitting against the wall with the window above it. A small dresser sits on the wall across from the bed. I close the door then sit on the bed. This is only temporary. We need a plan. How are we going to make it back to the castle faster than three days?

 Miracle and Tristan should be headed back to my parents now. My thoughts going everywhere causes a headache to form. I can't ask Dottie and Carl, what's a faster way to the castle? But I can ask them the fastest way out of the forest. It may shave a half a day going through the forest. But we don't have anything to defend us. I rub my face then lay on the bed, we are going to need horses or something faster. It would be better if we could fly there. We would get there in hours. I sigh, I have tomorrow to think about this. If Nayyirah is up she can help me.  I get under the covers and let my mind wander to Nayyirah. How will she feel when she wakes up? Will she remember what happened?

The image of her in the purple dress at the castle pops up. I hear my mother's voice of her being a fairy. My body relaxes with that final thought. Heat hits my face making me roll over. I open my eyes to sunlight filling the room. I look  around at the unfamiliar surroundings for a minute remembering that I'm at Dottie's house in the forest. I get out of bed walking out of the bed to the room that Nayyirah is in. I open the door to see her still laying peacefully in bed. I thought she would be up after we removed the dust. I walk to the side of the bed and place my hand on her cheek. " Nayyirah," her eyes move under the lids. " All you gotta do is open your eyes," I whisper gently. No other movement happens, her body must not be ready. I kiss her on the forehead," I'll be back later.

 I walk out the room going to the bathroom. Noises come from the front of the house. Dottie and Carl must be up already. I close the door and look at myself in the mirror. Cuts and bruises cover my body, I look a mess. No wonder they believe I'm not the prince. I turn the water on and splash it on my face. A knock on the door makes me turn the water off and open the door. Dotties stand on the other side holding clothes and a towel," here's some clothes, a towel and rag." " Thank you," I take them from her. " Breakfast will be done shortly," she smiles then walks away. I go back into the bathroom, setting everything down on the counter. I pull the curtains back on the tiny shower when I hear something loud fall. I open the door  hearing more noises coming from Nayyirah's room. I run across the hall opening the door to her on the floor with the cover wrapped around her.