Chapter 6: As The Night Falls

You opened the door to a nearly empty bar, the complete opposite of what you had seen the night before. Emily waved you in kindly, patting a spot by the bar for you to sit down.

"What can I do for you?" The blue-haired barmaid asked cheerily.

You looked away as you responded to her question. "Well, I was wondering if I could order something for Shane when he comes in." Glancing back up, you noticed a slight smile appearing as she pursed her lips. "I don't plan to stay for long, so if I could pay and leave before he gets here then that would be ideal." You continued.

"Of course!" She smiled, grabbing a small notepad and pen from her apron. "What would you like to get him?"

"Marnie suggested pepper poppers or pizza, but I really don't know him that well." You looked up, slightly embarrassed. "What do you think?"

"I think those are both great. He also loves this beer that we get imported from a few islands over. It's part of a special tonight if you're interested." You could see how she landed this job, with her sparkling personality and welcoming nature. She bit on the end of her pen as she continued talking. "I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I personally think you can't go wrong ordering pepper pizza with extra cheese and a cold beer." She chuckled to herself. "Especially since it's Shane you're talking about."

"That sounds perfect. Thank you so much, Emily."

"Anytime!" She placed your order and turned to the small cash register. "My mother always told us that the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach." She laughed lightly.

"Oh, ha." You felt your cheeks flush as you tried to avoid where this conversation was heading. "I guess that might work for some."

The barmaid told you the total and you quickly paid, hoping to leave before you would run into Shane. Unfortunately, you turned around as a barely recognizable, hooded figure walked in carrying several overflowing paper grocery bags. He pulled his hood back and you briefly made eye contact with him. You wanted to run away, as being confrontational was not your strong suit but you needed to thank him.

He looked away and walked over to his spot by the fireplace, briefly looking at you as he passed by. You followed him over and timidly took a seat on the barstool next to him. There were only two other people in the bar, Willy and a woman with heavy makeup and frizzy blonde hair, so you felt like all of the attention was on you.

"Uh, hi, Shane." Shane looked up at you as you said the words.

"Buh, what do you want?" He said in a grave tone.

"I just wanted to say, thank you so much for helping me last night. It was very considerate of you." You smiled.

"That's a first." Shane laughed under his breath.

"What?"

"Oh...nothing." He looked towards the crackling fire next to him.

"What is it? You can talk to me." You said instinctually before remembering you didn't know Shane very well. You quickly tried to take back your words. "Only if you want, of course. I don't want to pressure you into anything. Sorry."

"No, it's okay." He said. He slowly looked back up at you. "No one has ever called me considerate." He laughed, avoiding eye contact with you. "In fact, I'm usually called the opposite." He mumbled the last words.

Before you could say anything else, before you could comfort him, before you could continue the conversation, Shane walked up to you and leaned on the bar. He waved Emily over and sighed deeply.

"Yes?" Emily asked, appearing instantly, with the special beer you ordered in her hand for Shane. She reached to give him the drink, but Shane refused it.