Chapter 63: A Coastal Temptation

"Here's some water, hun." Emily startled you in your drunken state as she sat a tall glass on the counter, pulling your attention away from the door. "Drink up."

"Where's he going?" You asked, instantly forgetting the previous conversation.

The blue-haired barmaid gave you a very concerned look. "Demetrius just called and said that your dog ran away, so Shane went to go find him."

"Oh." You hummed, still unable to pay attention to anything.

"Ugh. I have to go to the bathroom really badly, so I need you to promise that you'll stay right here." Emily grabbed your hands, forcing you to look into her eyes. "Shane made it very clear that the consequences would be dire if I let you out of my sight tonight."

"I promise." Your words slurred together, diminishing their effect.

Emily looked hesitant, but it was obvious she was close to an emergency. "Okay. I'll be back in like ten minutes. Stay put!"

She hung up her apron and scurried away to the back of the bar. Almost as soon as she had left, someone in a maroon blazer appeared in front of you. They smelled of a mix of deep vanilla, sandalwood, and the saltiness of the sea with a mix of light pepperiness. "Hello, (Y/N)." the smooth, profound voice muttered, setting a mug of pale ale on the bar. "I observe that you appear to be drinking alone tonight?"   

"Whaa–, no." You laughed, feeling the levity of alcohol intercept your thoughts. "My Shane... my husband is here."

"Where?" The masculine voice responded. "You appear to be inebriated and alone, (Y/N). Are you feeling alright?" You looked up to see Elliott gently placing a hand on your shoulder. "Can I help you? I fear you are on the verge of collapsing as we speak."

"I am?" You asked, the alcoholic effect worsening with every word. "I don't want to collapse."

You were somehow significantly drunker now than you had been when Shane had left. Your judgment was faded, and you were so gone that you agreed with every word you heard. There were no inhibitions, just a tired, scared, and thoughtless space in your mind. "Come with me." Elliott took one of your hands caringly in his. "I'm worried about you. Let us retreat to my cabin and allow me to provide you with the care you so desperately need."

On any other day, in any other situation, you would have laughed and ran away as fast as you could. But here and now, there wasn't a reasonable part of your brain functioning enough to say no. It was weird and scary to be this drunk. Your heart was beating fast and your vision was blurred. You didn't know what to do. You knew Elliott, kind of, and he seemed like the best option to feeling better. Shane had made it clear to him that you were married, so Elliott definitely wouldn't be pulling any tricks tonight. He's certainly not that desperate to be with you.

"Okay." You mumbled drunkenly, leaning heavily on him as you tried to stand up. "Lesgo."

"Let's go?" He asked, clarifying your jumbled statement.

You nodded your head intensely, nearly tripping from the jerky movement. "Where are we going?"

He looked down at you, a mix of concern and confusion on his face. "To my cabin." He shook his head and made a clicking sound. "You really are out of it. Aren't you, darling?"

"Yup!" You grinned, unable to read the situation.

With that, you followed him out of the bar and onto the cobblestone paths of the main square of Pelican Town. "This way." He gestured to a dirt path that went by Mayor Lewis's house. "It is a shortcut to get to the beach faster."

"Okay!" You smiled, leaning on his arm for support as you followed him aimlessly.

"My, my. It's a good thing I ran into you." He spoke smoothly, his voice mixing with the sound of the sea as you crossed the shaky wooden bridge to the beach together. "You are quite intoxicated. You would agree to anything that anyone said. I'm glad I was able to rescue you before someone else could find you."