Chapter 30: Strolling At Sunset

Dating Shane had made you feel healthier and happier than you could have imagined being before you moved to Stardew Valley, and you were sure that Shane felt the same way. The two of you had been officially dating for a little over a month since it was now Summer 24 and Shane had suggested your anniversary be the day he asked you to be his girlfriend, Spring 19.

Your days went pretty much the same every day. Shane would get up for work at JojaMart and you would tend to the farm. After he got home, the two of you would usually go for a walk down around the Valley and then back home for the night. On Friday nights, you and he would go to the Saloon to catch up with the town. Saturdays were your favorite though because he was home for the entire day until after dinner, when he would head back to the Ranch to spend Saturday night and the majority of Sunday with his family. You often went down to eat dinner with them on Sunday nights before Shane came back to the farm. It was like the two of you practically lived together, and you couldn't imagine being happier.

Your walks through the Valley were really nice. While you got a lot of exercise managing the farm and running errands for the town, Shane, however, didn't "work out" much at his job, besides lifting the occasional box of sodas that needed to be shelved. Dating you had made Shane more aware of his health. While you loved the way he looked and didn't want that to change, you were glad he wanted to stay active. A daily walk wasn't much, but it helped.

Today, you were eagerly waiting for Shane to get home. The weather was wonderful, warm with a light breeze, and you were sprawled out on the couch reading a book to pass the time. You had opened up the farmhouse windows to let in a breeze, and you couldn't imagine it being more wonderful.

You thankfully didn't have to wait long for your boyfriend to return home. Shortly after his arrival, the two of you set off for your evening stroll. The first stop was, of course, to the chicken coop. Shane loved the little birds and was sad he didn't get to spend as much time with them as he liked, so you always waited to collect the eggs until he was home. You kept a little basket in the coop for him to bring the eggs in, and you always returned it when you fed the chickens in the morning.

Shane gathered the eggs while you waited excitedly outside of the coop. You had secretly planted a whole patch of hot peppers for your boyfriend, and they were finally ready to harvest. You planned to surprise Shane with them tonight on your walk.

He returned momentarily with a basket filled with four large, gold-quality eggs. "Whatever you're feeding those chickens is working." He laughed. "Marnie would flip if she ever got eggs like this."

"Let's take one to her!" You smiled. "But first," you grabbed his hand and started leading him to your large garden. "I have something special for you."

Shane raised an eyebrow. "You know I love your something special, but outside?" He asked as he looked at your hesitantly. "What if someone stopped by?"

You instantly realized what he thought you were implying, and you jokingly swatted his shoulder. "Shane!" You shook your head as you approached the patch of perfect peppers. "Not that, I grew you hot peppers!"

His eyes grew wide. Shane crouched down and plucked a pepper from one of the plants. "This looks absolutely delicious." He lovingly wrapped an arm around your leg. "You did all this for me?"

"Of course!" You smiled down at him. "Now help me pick them!" The two of you spent about thirty minutes collecting all of the little red peppers. Shane helping really sped up the work. The two of you frequently talked about Shane quitting JojaMart to come work with you on the farm full-time. While your farm probably wasn't ready to support that yet, Shane's help here and there made a world of difference. You couldn't imagine all that you would be able to accomplish if you could use him full-time. Plus, he could lift the logs that were too heavy for you.