Chapter 57: Newlyweds

Shane gently slid his hand under your shirt and let it rest on your stomach as he spooned you in his sleep. You felt the cold metal of his wedding ring against your skin. Despite its cool touch, the reminder of your marriage warmed your heart. You carefully flipped over to look at your husband. The sunlight gently shone across his face, illuminating how serene he looked as he slept next to you.

The day before had gone by in what seemed like a minute, but the night you had with Shane after was certainly memorable and definitely much longer than a minute. While you had both been incredibly tired after a day full of wedding affairs and conversation, you were more than excited to spend your first night together as a married couple. And you didn't hesitate to make the most of the occasion.

You were still tired from the day before (and a little in shock that you were really married). You gently brushed some of Shane's dark hair off of his forehead, the sun hitting it gave it almost a purple hue as you paused to let your finger linger for a moment on his soft forehead. His hair was starting to get a little shaggier, but you didn't mind. You thought it was cute, but you knew he would want to get it cut. Still, you let the thought drift off as you felt the soft rise and fall of his stomach against your body.

You realized that you could spend hours there, just watching him in complete bliss. The first few nights you had spent together as a couple, in fact, the first several nights, Shane had looked stressed and unhappy even as he slept. It brought you so much joy to see that he looked at peace while he lay next to you now.

He stirred slightly in his sleep, showing that you were accidentally waking him by playing with his hair. You knew you should let him sleep, but you couldn't help it as your fingers traced his features, slowly running over his eyebrows, down his cheeks, across his stubbly beard, and along his jawline until they finally graced across his lips. You leaned down to follow the touch with a brief kiss, slowly letting your husband wake up to the clear morning light.

"Mmm..." Shane moaned groggily, wrapping his arm around you as he pulled you in tightly. "Cuddle me..."

"Good morning, sleepyhead." You kissed his forehead, gently tousling his hair as you let him adjust to being awake. "How did my husband sleep?"

"Your husband, eh?" Shane blinked awake, now happily looking up at you. "I like the sound of that. I'd say he slept pretty good. How did my wife sleep?"

You blushed at the comment on your new marriage. "Really well. I was so tired." You grinned.

"Oh?" Shane grinned, a devious tone interlacing through his voice. "I really wore you out last night, huh? I mean, it was definitely fun, (Y/N)." He winked as he ran a hand through his hair. "Want to see if I have the same effect on you in the morning?" He raised an eyebrow devilishly as he let his hand rest on your waist.

"Oh, whatever!" You swatted his arm playfully, blushing at what he was referencing. You flipped over so you were laying on your side with your back towards him and scooted slightly away.

"Aww, too far?" Your husband wrapped his arm around you before scooting as close as he could, resting his head against your neck. "I know we both had an amazing time last night, though."

He was definitely right. "I still can't believe that we're actually married." You smiled, laying on your back.

Shane just grinned. "I know. But hey, now we can start the honeymoon!" Spring was a busy time of year for farming, so the two of you weren't able to travel for a destination honeymoon. However, Shane had very publicly requested that the two of you were closing off the farm for the week. He took every measure posting up signs and giving out your phone number to ensure that if anyone needed the two of you, they would know to call rather than come visit. According to Shane, "it gave the two of you plenty of space to be newlyweds."