Chapter 55: Wedding Bells, Part 1

Today was the day. You were finally marrying the love of your life, Shane. You thought over the past year you had spent in the Valley as you practiced reciting your vows in the antique wooden vanity mirror in Marnie's bedroom. Your head filled with fond memories as you recalled how you ended up here, today, getting married to Shane. What had started off rather tumultuous quickly became a passionate romance that grew stronger and more sincere every day. You remembered the first time you met the man you would soon call your husband, and how far he had come from being the closed-off, depressed person that he once was.

Since you wanted to enter the wedding from the south of the main square of Pelican Town, it had made the most sense for you to get ready at Marnie's and Shane to get ready at your farmhouse. You checked the small metal alarm clock on the nightstand, which read a quarter past eleven o'clock. The wedding was scheduled to begin at noon, and you took one last glance in the mirror before heading to the living room to debut your bridal look for Marnie and Jas.

The fit of the a-line gown you had chosen was absolutely perfect. It hugged your curves in the most exquisite manner and trailed down to the floor, giving you a sense of elegance and stature as you stood in front of your future family. "What do you both think?" You asked, wincing as you waited for their slow reply.

"I..." Marnie stuttered. "I cannot believe it, (Y/N)," Marnie whispered as her lips trembled and tears welled in her eyes. "Oh, you're the most beautiful thing to ever grace the Valley, aren't you?" She dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief. "Oh, of course, the one day I put on makeup is the day I'll cry my eyes out, huh?" She joked, looking over at her niece.

Jas was still staring at you, jaw dropped. "What do you think, Jazzy?" You asked the little girl as you gave a small twirl in the dress. "Does this dress come close to being as pretty as your purple one?"

She nodded her head rapidly. "You're so pretty!" She squealed, running up to give you a hug.

"Now, now." Marnie pulled the little girl off of you. "I can't have you wrinkling both of your dresses. They took me all day yesterday to press." She joked lovingly, trying to hide the fact that she was beginning to cry. "Now, we best be going."

You turned to follow them out of the door when you remembered the necklace Shane had returned to Jas. "Oh, and one more thing." You scurried back to the room to grab it. You gently draped it over her shoulders and clasped it around the neck of your future goddaughter. "There. Now we're ready to go." You could tell Marnie recognized the necklace, but she didn't say anything, instead just dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief. 

The three of you walked to the town square but waited by some bushes out of sight. You could hear the buzz of chatter as the townspeople arrived. It was quickly followed by Mayor Lewis shushing the crowd as you heard people take their seats. A soft piano melody swirled through the air as you realized your moment was finally here.

Jas, who had been practicing for weeks, started marching towards the altar perfectly on cue. You looked at Marnie for one final trusting glance, and she gently put a hand on your shoulder in a loving, maternal way. "(Y/N), I cannot thank you enough for everything that you have done for Shane and my family. I have known Shane since he was a child, but I have known him very well in his adulthood, and nothing has ever been able to compare to the way he looks at you. His face lights up with joy that I didn't know was possible for him to experience." She looked at you with hopeful, kind eyes. "I know you love him (Y/N). I know you two will be so happy together and build a wonderful life." She paused before continuing.

"So thank you, really. And if you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to talk to me, dear." Marnie finished, blinking quickly to keep herself from tearing up again. You didn't think you would start crying before you made it to the altar, but Marnie was pushing your limits. "Well, I guess that's my signal to go sit down." She chuckled. "I can't wait to see you up there. You're a vision of grace and light." She followed her niece's path to her seat in the front row.