Chapter 26: Dancing Daisies And Daffodils

"Smile!" A girly voice called from behind you. You and your boyfriend turned around to see Haley posing with a camera. Shane wrapped his arm around your waist as you both smiled for the photo.

"Oh, you can do better than that!" Marnie guffawed from behind the amateur photographer. "Kiss her!" She insisted in her "aunt-y" way.

Shane rolled his eyes, but his smile told a different story. He pulled you in as you leaned up to kiss him. This was the first time the two of you had shown a lot of PDA in front of the town, and it felt really nice. You had the strangest feeling. You almost wished Elliott was here, to see Shane and you together. You felt awful that you had only told him you were dating someone, and that you hadn't specified it was Shane. While part of you was terrified to see him, you wanted him to know you were completely committed to Shane. Before you could think anymore about the situation, Mayor Lewis began to address the town.

"Hello, cherished community members!" The mayor smiled, holding a small champagne flute. "Thank you all so much for coming out here today. Now, let the Stardew Valley's annual Flower Dance begin!" There were cheers and applause from the townspeople. "To kick it off, we shall begin with the Flower Dance itself! May all of Pelican Town's eligible bachelors and bachelorettes make their way forward." He left to stand on the side of the field with the other people who weren't dancing.

Shane grabbed your hand. "Are you ready?" He asked, a huge grin plastered over his face.

You sucked in a nervous, yet excited, breath. "As ready as I'll ever be." Your boyfriend eagerly pulled you towards the center of the field where the townspeople were lining up. You were getting more and more nervous. You could feel people staring at you, but you bet it was probably just Marnie. You stepped into line with the other girls and watched Shane take his place opposite of you with the boys.

The music started and the dance began. All of your nerves fluttered away as you performed in sync with the other dancers. Shane's face was shy and smiling as he watched you and the other girls performed the group solo. After, you watched the boys take their turn. Then you waltzed towards each other and Shane took your hands in his and spun you around. In your twirl, you managed to catch Marnie wiping a happy tear away from her eye.

The dance came to an end and the happy group of dancers disbanded into the cheering crowd. It felt good: to be cheered on, to help uphold this tradition, and to dance with the man you loved. Shane pulled you into a hug and tilted your chin up, gently kissing you. Fresh spring blossoms and flower petals fluttered through the air all around you. You could feel them nestling gently in your hair. Shane pulled back and smiled down at you. He ran a hand through your hair, brushing out some of the petals.

It felt like true bliss. Shane held you while you were circled by flowers, surrounded by good food and a new, loving home. You had only been living in Stardew Valley for a little over three weeks, but it already felt like more of a home than Zuzu City ever had to you. Shane was, of course, the highlight of the Valley to you, but the rest of the town and the beautiful nature aided in the love you held for your new home.

"Are you okay?" Shane asked, gently brushing his hand against your cheek. "You zoned out there for a sec."

You smiled up at your caring boyfriend. "Yeah! I was thinking about how wonderful my life is here in Pelican Town." You leaned your head against his chest as he wrapped his strong arms tighter around you. "But, this. This is by far the most wonderful part." You rested your hands on his arms as he set his head atop of yours.

The rest of the town had crowded into the field where the dance had just ended. "Shane! (Y/N)!" Marnie smiled as Jas sprinted towards the two of you. "You were wonderful!" It looked like she had been crying, but a large grin overtook her face. She dabbed lightly at her eyes with a tissue. "I wish I could have gotten it on a recording."