Chapter 46: Origin Story

"GAH!"

You were awoken by a loud sound and quickly opened your eyes, flipping over in bed to face your fiancé, who was sitting up, hand over his chest as he struggled to breathe normally. "Shane?! What's wrong?" You instantly sat up to check on him, flipping on the lamp on your nightstand.

There were tears streaming down his cheeks as he breathed heavily, coming to his senses. He took a deep breath before burying his face in his hands as he started bawling. "I- I-" He could barely get a sound out between labored sobs. "I just-"

With that he turned to you and buried his face into your shoulder, weeping as you wrapped your arms around him lovingly. You had no clue what was going on, and you were pretty worried, but you knew the best thing you could do for him is give love and support. As he started to mellow out, you gently started questioning him again while rubbing his back. "What's wrong, baby?"

"N- nothing." He responded emotionlessly, sitting up and wiping his eyes on his t-shirt. "Just a bad dream, everything's fine." He shook his head, a pained expression on his face. "Everything's fine. Everything's fine." He repeated, not looking at you. "Everything's fine."

"What happened? You can talk to me, Shane." You tried to comfort your freaked-out fiancé, but you had no idea what was going on. "What was your dream about?"

"It- it's nothing." He tried to shake you off as he gave you a warm comforting smile. "Let's go back to bed, chickpea." His voice was slowly returning to its normal cadence.

"Shane." You knew that if you didn't talk to him about it now, he would bottle it up inside and not talk about it again. "I'm your fianceé. I understand if you really don't want to talk about it, but I love you and I want to help. We're in this together." You wrapped your arms around his torso as you leaned into him affectionately. "I'm here for you, always. What happened?"

"Well, I- I haven't really talked to you about this before." Shane started, his breathing a little shaky as he stared into the comforter. "About how I got Jas. It- it's a lot." You could hear the tears rising in his voice. "Where to begin-" He tried to laugh, but it came out a mangled chortle.

"Take your time." You eased, rubbing a hand on his chest. "If you really don't want to talk abo-"

"No, it's fine." He interrupted, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves. "You make a really good point. We're getting married and it's important that you know this, as my wife." He looked down at you, your eyes locking in a moment of sincerity. "It's just something that's really difficult for me to talk about."

"Take all the time you need." You reassured him. "If it makes it easier, I could turn off the light and we can just lay down and cuddle while you talk."

Shane's tensed expression began to lighten as his brow unfurrowed. "I would really like that." He tipped your chin up to give you a quick peck. "You always know what I need, don't you?"

You blushed at the compliment as you leaned over to turn off the lamp. You felt Shane's strong arms wrap around your chest and pull you against his body tightly as the two of you fell back against the soft pillow entwined together. "Whenever you're ready, baby."

He paused to think through what he was going to say before speaking with a cracked voice. "Well, you obviously know that Jas is my niece and Marnie is my aunt. Jas is also my goddaughter, and I am officially her legal guardian, but we live with Marnie." He looked down at you. "You know all that, obviously. And you know that soon I won't be living with Marnie." He nudged you playfully as he referenced his upcoming move to live with you on the farm.

"Jas is my brother's daughter. He is-" Shane took another deep breath, and you could tell he was on the verge of divulging very emotional information. "He was my older brother, his name was Jason. It's where they got the inspiration to name her Jasmine. J-A-S is in both of their names."