Chapter 24: Some Nights And More Memories

"Shane! (Y/N)!" Marnie excitedly exclaimed when you and Shane walked in unannounced. "I wasn't expecting you two!"

"Sorry to drop by." You apologized. Even though this is where Shane lived, you felt like you were imposing.

"Nonsense!" The kind rancher smiled. "You're always welcome here, (Y/N). What can I do for you?"

Shane started walking towards his room and waved you to come with him. "Well, we need you to pick up a dress for the Flower Dance from Mayor Lewis' house for (Y/N)." Marnie's face lit up as he hinted that you would be participating in the festival. "I'm just getting some clothes and stuff." He explained to his aunt as he walked into the room. "I'm gonna spend the night at the farm." He stopped and turned around to face her. "...If that's okay."

"Of course, it's okay, Shane." She shook her head. "I don't control you, for that, I would ask Jas."

Shane laughed as Marnie left the two of you alone, with a promise to secure your dress the next day. "Sorry about her. She doesn't have any kids of her own, but somehow she got stuck with me and Jas. She tries not to be too much of a mom, but sometimes I think that's what we need." He walked over to his closet and grabbed a leather duffel bag from the top shelf.

His room looked completely different from when you had last visited him. There were no more beer cans, and the room smelled strongly of cologne and fabric softener. Everything was neatly organized and put away. No wonder Marnie liked you, you seemed to be having a good influence on her nephew.

"Ok, so I'll need my uniform for tomorrow and clothes to sleep in tonight." He continued to rummage through his closet. He pulled out a big, blue hoodie. "Here." He threw it at you and you caught it clumsily in your arms. "Try it on." He smiled.

You didn't hesitate to throw the hoodie over your shirt. You saw a huge grin on Shane's face when you finally managed to poke your head through. The hoodie was huge on you, it nearly hung to your knees and the sleeves enveloped your arms entirely. You were practically swimming in it.

"Yoba, you're adorable." Shane gleamed. He walked over and bent down, wrapping his arms around your hips and picking you up, so your head was above his. You cupped his face in your hands and leaned down to give him a kiss. "You look much better in this than I do." Shane rubbed the fabric in his fingers, still keeping you hoisted above him. "I think you should keep it."

You got so excited like you were a high schooler getting her crush's letterman jacket. "Really?" You squealed. You pushed the soft fabric against your cheek.

"Yeah!" Shane smiled, happy that you were excited. "It only seems right for you to have it now."

"Yay! Thank you!" You kissed him quickly.

"Alright," he walked over to his bed and threw you (gently, yet playfully) down on it. "Now help me pack." He returned to his closet to continue stuffing the duffel bag while you waited patiently on his bed, your entire body covered by the hoodie. You waited while he tossed a couple of final items into the bag and zipped it shut. "Anything else we need?"

You shook your head. You followed him out of the room and back into the main foyer of the ranch. Marnie was sitting patiently behind her desk. "They didn't have one in your size?" Marnie teased when she saw you in Shane's giant sweatshirt. "Shane, make sure to tell your niece goodbye before you go."

Shane grabbed your hand and pulled you along to Jas' room. The purple and pink walls fit her perfectly, and she sat playing with a dollhouse in the back corner of her room. "Jas?" Shane called quietly, knocking lightly on the wall to signal his arrival.

"Uncle Shane! (Y/N)!" She squealed when she saw the two of you in her doorway. Shane dropped down to one knee and she ran over to give him a hug.

"Hey, Jas." He hugged her back. "I'm going to stay at (Y/N)'s farm tonight, so I won't be home, okay?"

Jas pulled away with a confused look, directed at you. "Like a sleepover?"

Shane's cheeks flushed pink. "Er- uh, yes. Like a sleepover."

"Can I come?" Jas asked innocently. You couldn't help but giggle a little bit.

Shane's face was flushing a deeper red by the second. "Well, um, no, not really, because, uh, it's a sleepover for grown-ups."

Jas wasn't done with her interrogation yet. "Is Aunt Marnie going?"

You decided to give Shane a break and tackle this one. "No, Jas, someone has to stay here with you tonight." You smiled at the curious little girl.

"Oh." She paused in thought for a moment. "That makes sense."

Shane patted the top of her head. "Alright, well, be good for Marnie, okay?" She nodded her reply. Shane followed you out of the ranch.

"Here, I have an idea." He pulled you over towards the lake in the Cindersap Forest. You followed him onto the docks. "Do you remember the night we sat here together and ate pizza?"

You nodded. "Yeah, I bought you beers and pizza because you had taken me home drunk." You laughed.

This caused Shane to chuckle as well. "I remember, you were absolutely plastered." He shook his head. "I remember thinking that you were cute when we first met, but when we sat here and talked, I realized that I felt something more for you." He squeezed your hand encouragingly. "Noone had made me feel as heard and cared for as you did. I felt like I was some bug like I was there, but no one really paid attention unless I got in the way." He looked deeply into your eyes. "But the night that we spent together on this dock showed me that you cared. You cared at least enough to sit through a beer with me."

"Anytime." You joked, but in reality, you were tearing up. You remembered that night. The feeling of realizing that he was finally opening up to you had stayed with you for a long time following that evening. "That night was really important to me."

He grabbed your face and pulled you in for a quick kiss."Alright. I just wanted to take you here again. Let's head back home."

The two of you returned home and you led Shane to the bedroom to unpack his bags while you cleaned up from dinner. You had decided to sell the rest of the fish you had caught since neither of you two were particularly keen on them.

"Ready to dance?" Shane asked as you walked back in from setting the fish in your shipping container outside.

"Sure." You laughed. Your boyfriend had rearranged your living room so there was a wide-open space in the middle to practice dancing. The two of you spent a couple of hours dancing together as Shane taught you the ritualistic dance. He twirled you about and you both laughed enough to satisfy your soul.

"Buh, I'm so tired, (Y/N)." Shane smiled as he twirled you into his arms. "I might have to call it a night soon." He kissed the top of your head.

"Okay, let's go to bed." You started pulling him towards your bedroom. "Thanks for teaching me." The two of you put on your pajamas and crawled into the bed together.

Shane laid on his back and laid his arm out. You curled into his side, resting your head on his outstretched arm. "I really missed this last night." You mumbled as you ran your hand up and down his chest.

"Me too, chickpea." Your boyfriend whispered into the darkness as he pulled you closer. "Me too."

✏️  A/N: Hey all! I hope you loved this chapter! Just a sweet little chapter for this week. Excited about the flower dance? You'll see more about it next week in Chapter 25: Flowering Flirtatiously. Have a great week!