Chapter 60: Oh My God-Daughter

"It's time for bed, Jazzy," Shane argued with his niece.

"But I want to play!" She stomped her foot on the ground, trying to be upset.

"Uncle Shane and I are tired." You patted her back lovingly. "And we live on a farm, we have to wake up early! Then we can play in the morning, okay?"

That seemed to convince her as she ran up the stairs to her newly built bedroom. Shane followed behind carrying her luggage, and you quickly joined. He set the bag on the bed and started to unpack it. After digging under dozens of toys, Shane finally pulled out a pair of her pajamas. "Alright, get ready for bed and I'll be back to tuck you into bed in a second, cool?"

"Cool." She nodded as you and your husband left the room.

You went back to the living room and sat down on the couch. "It's so great to finally have Jas staying over!" You grinned.

"Mhmm." Your husband agreed. "I'm really glad you're so cool with her... and with our whole situation and everything, y'know." He sighed, sitting up a little straighter as he nervously. "There's something I've been meaning to ask you about for a bit now..."

Shane fell silent, looking anywhere but at you, as he struggled to speak. "Shane, it's me. Is everything okay? Whatever it is, you can talk to me."

"Yeah, of course. I just don't want to pressure you, I know we've talked about this before but..." He looked you in the eyes and reached out to grab your hands, pulling them onto his lap. "Have you given any more thought to the idea of adopting Jas?" He squeezed your hand reaffirmingly. "No worries if you don't want to. I completely understand. I just thought maybe, if you wanted. That way if anything ever happens to me, I know she'll be safe and loved with you. And that way you could have complete parental permission for her, like at the doctor or-"

"Shane, Shane." You leaned up and kissed him, silencing his nervous words before he could continue. "Of course, I want to adopt her. Why wouldn't I? I love her and truthfully I'm honored that you would even let me. So genuinely, whatever you need from me to make this happen, I'll do it."

"That makes me so, so happy, (Y/N)." You could hear his voice breaking as tears started to well in his eyes. "That means so much to me, and I know it will mean so much for Jas too." He blinked, stopping himself from getting too emotional. "I'll talk to her tomorrow and then I'll call to see if we can get an appointment to get everything set up in Zuzu City."

"I'm ready for bed!" Jas yelled from the top of the stairs, interrupting your conversation. "Do you like my new pajamas, Aunt (Y/N)?" She asked, gesturing to the purple floral ensemble she had on.

"They're so cute!" You agreed, encouraging her. Shane huffed as he stood up and headed to her room, and you followed close behind.

Shane picked her up and carried her over to the bed, setting her down before pulling the purple blankets over her. "Goodnight, Jazzy." He kissed her forehead as he sat down at the edge of the bed. "Your night light is plugged in and you have a glass of water on the nightstand. I'll be just downstairs if you need anything at all, okay?"

"Okay!"

You rubbed Shane's back as you stood next to her bed. "Night, Jas. We'll let you get some sleep now." You had no idea what to say, to be perfectly honest. You had never done this before.

You followed Shane to the doorway before he paused and turned back to face her. "Love ya, kiddo." He made a quick finger gun at her before turning off the light and closing the door quietly.

"I hope that was okay." You whispered, holding your husband's hand as you both quietly descended the stairs. "I've never tucked a child into bed before."