Chapter 40: The Unfinished Puzzle

The door swung quickly open and Shane stepped inside, shaking the water off his umbrella and sending your dog into a fit of glee to see his favorite person. You felt woozy, like you were about to faint. It had been less than a day, but seeing Shane had begun to feel like something that would never happen again.

"Hey, baby!" Shane smiled as he shut the door and walked over to you, impervious to the state of shock you were in as he took off his sopping jacket before pulling you into a big hug. "How's my chickpea?"

You couldn't respond. It was so overwhelming to see him. His voice felt so familiar yet so far away. You wanted to hug him back, but part of you was sure that it must be a dream. Still, you gave in and wrapped your arms around him tightly. You couldn't help it, you just started sobbing. "I was so scared! I thought you were gone!"

"(Y/N)? What's wrong?" Your boyfriend asked, pulling back to look at you. "Are you okay?"

"No!" You sniffled. "I couldn't find you! I thought I would never see you again!"

"Oh, baby, I'm so sorry." He pulled you into another tight hug. "Why would you think that?"

"Last time, when you disappeared in the storm..." Your voice trailed off as you tried to stop crying. "I just, I can't do that again."

Shane didn't say anything, he just held you tightly. "I am so sorry, (Y/N). I should have thought about that before I left. If I had known, I never would have gone." He kissed the top of your head. "I'm so sorry."

"It- it's okay now." You sniffled some more. "Wh- where were you?" You could barely say the words, still shocked by his sudden appearance.

Shane looked at you, then over at the wall, then to the other wall. "I was out..."

"What do you mean?"

He was still avoiding eye contact. "I uh, well, I can't really tell you where I was."

You were so confused. "What? Why?"

"It's no biggie." He smiled, looking down at you. "In fact, I really, really want to tell you." He laughed as he pulled you back into a hug. "I just can't right now."

What did that mean? What was he hiding? You racked your brain, trying to think of what he could of done that he wouldn't be able to tell you. "You can't tell me?"

Shane had a big smile on his face, but you still felt so bad inside. "I can't tell you, yet. But trust me, it's all good." He quickly kissed your forehead. "Want me to make dinner? We could watch a movie or something." You didn't respond, still mentally processing everything. Your mind was thinking of the worst outcomes, but you knew Shane better than that. "Whatever we do, I'm in serious need of some snuggles." Your boyfriend continued. "It's horrible out there."

"I know." You replied, still absorbed in your thoughts as your stared at your feet. "I was out looking for you all day."

"What?" Shane looked at you, eyes wide. "Why on Earth would you go out in that?"

"To find you." You replied, finally making eye contact with him. "In fact, you should probably call Marnie. She's still out looking for you."

"Oh my yoba." You watched as Shane ran to the phone, hastily trying to dial his aunt's phone number. "Marn? Marn? Yeah, it's Shane. I'm fine. Please go home!" You waited patiently for your boyfriend to finish the phone call before he hung up and looked back at you. "Sorry about that." You watched as he slowly walked over to you. "What do you want to do tonight? Maybe we skip dinner, go straight to bed?" He looked absolutely exhuasted.

You felt betrayed. What could Shane possibly be hiding from you. You decided to ask one more time. "Just, where were you?"

You could see the conflict in his eyes, like he genuinely wanted to tell you. "I can't tell you that, (Y/N). I promise it will all make sense soon." He held out his arms for a hug.