Chapter 8: A Date To Remember

The conversation continued on delightfully in between bites until a loud crack of thunder echoed over the small park. It was quickly followed by a heavy downpour of cold ocean rain. Shane grabbed the food and bottle of wine and threw them into the picnic basket. "C'mon." He said. "Let's get out of the rain." He hung the basket on his arm and picked up the blanket as you stood up. He took the blanket and draped it over the two of you, temporarily shielding you from the rain. Using his available hand, he wrapped his arm around your waist and led you to a large tree near the steps you had come from.

Once you both were safely tucked under the tree, Shane pulled the blanket off and folded it over the picnic basket. He looked back at you with an apologetic smile. "Sorry. I didn't know it would rain today." In that moment, you felt uncontrollably pulled to Shane. His dark hair laid flat against his forehead with the weight of the water. The same water dripped off his jawline and drenched his clothing. His apprehensive smile seemed to grow as he looked at your face. You were sure that you were just as wet as he was, and you felt your own smile grow as you watched his face in return. "Here." He said as he gently put his strong hand on your cheek. He took his thumb and pulled a wet strand of hair away from your face. He let his hand linger for a moment before taking it away. You felt your insides begin to melt. It had been so long since you had been captivated by someone like this.

"Do you want to try and wait out the rain?" Shane asked, bringing you out of your thoughts. "It doesn't look like it will be stopping anytime soon."

Before you could respond, an idea struck you. "Why don't we just go back to my place?" You asked him. His face lit up with hope. "It's only a little ways from here, so we could dry off and continue our lunch. Would that work?"

He happily nodded his agreement, pulled the blanket back over the two of you, and wrapped his arm back around you as the two of you quickly set off towards the farm.

    You got back to the farmhouse with Shane and took the soaked blanket off of the two of you. You quickly set it out to dry by a small heater and walked back to a sopping wet Shane who was standing in your entryway. "Do you want some dry clothes?" You asked him, eager to change into some yourself.

    "Yeah, that would be great." Shane smiled awkwardly. "Do you have any that would fit me?" You thought over the clothes you had brought with you to the valley. You favored oversized shirts, so you knew that you would have several lying around your room. Additionally, you had kept a set of your grandfather's nicer pajamas, hating to throw away such good quality clothing, that would probably fit him as well. You ran to your room and grabbed a pair of plaid pajama pants and an oversized light gray tee-shirt from the Zuzu City Zoo. You returned to him and presented your findings.

    "This is great." He smiled. "Just don't judge me for wearing pajamas during the day." He laughed. You glanced at your watch to see that it was almost three.

    "Don't worry." You showed him the clothes you had grabbed for yourself. "I'll wear pajamas too. It's nice to be cozy when it rains."

    Shane went to the bathroom to change and you went to your room. You put on a pair of rose gold, silk pajamas that you had bought for yourself after you got hired at Joja Co. You looked out your bedroom window to see the stormy sky was nearly black as the rain tapped on your roof. You walked out to see Shane standing in your kitchen, his hair still damp. You had pulled yours up into a bun so it wouldn't drip. The clothes seemed to fit Shane fairly well for the most part, but the sleeves of the shirt were tight around his arms and the shirt fit snugly around his stomach.

    He opened the picnic basket and pulled out its dry contents. You threw away the disposable cups and looked for something to use for the remaining wine. The only clean cups you had were a couple of mugs, but they fit the mood nicely. You each grabbed your food and went to sit together on your quaint loveseat. You tucked yourself into a patchy afgan and handed Shane your thick faux fur blanket. You started a small flame in the fireplace and watched as it spread over the dry logs. You both ate your food as you carried a quiet conversation about your lives before you came to the valley. Once you had both finished, you set the empty containers on your coffee table and continued to talk.