Chapter 42: The Big Question

You laid out a blanket on a grassy little patch of land by the pond, shaded by large oak trees. Jas's eyes grew wide as you pulled out the contents of the basket, which included lots of bread, cheese, fruits, and crackers with jam. You poured a glass of juice for each of you before digging into the small feast you had assembled.

"This is the most fanciest food I've ever eaten!" Jas said excitedly.

It was truly beautiful out, sitting in the shade by the pond. Fish jumped on the water and the sky was a gorgeous shade of blue. "Are you having a fun day?" You asked the little girl.

Her eyes glinted with glee as she grinned. "YES! This is going to be the bestest day ever!"

"Is it?" You chuckled, taking a bite of some fancy goat cheese you had picked up at the Traveling Merchant's cart.

"Yep!" She nodded as she continued to eat some apple slices.

"Hey, girls!" Marnie said, appearing from behind some crops. "I knocked on the door but you weren't there."

"Marnie?" You asked, surprised to see the rancher so soon. You checked your watch to see that it was a little past three o'clock in the afternoon. Apparently, the time you had spent with Jas had flown by.

"Sorry, I'm a little early." She chuckled. "We got done sooner than I expected."

"We?" You asked, a little confused.

Marnie's face flushed pink. "Oh, uh, at the shipping place." She looked at the picnic you two were having, changing the conversation. "This looks fun. And I'm glad to see that you're already dressed, I was a little worried." She slapped a hand over her mouth and she blushed embarrassedly. "Forget I said that."

You weren't understanding much of what Marnie meant, but you tried not to think too much of it. "Yeah, Jas and I had makeovers."

"And you both look beautiful." Marnie smiled. "Jas, are you ready to go home?"

"No, I want to spend more time with (Y/N)!" The young girl protested.

She shook her head, trying to hide her smile. "Okay, what if (Y/N) comes over for dinner tonight?" She looked at you. "Would that work?"

"Sure." You smiled. "I can call Shane and tell him to meet us at the Ranch."

"Oh, don't worry about it." Marnie brushed your comment off. "Ready to go?"

You were a little hesitant to not contact Shane before you left, but the three of you set off towards the Ranch anyways. You and Jas were both still in your fancier attire, but no one seemed to mind. Jas looked absolutely adorable in the comparatively giant clothes and you felt good to be so dressed up for the first time in a while.

You were walking a couple of paces behind Jas and Marnie, who were talking excitedly in hushed tones together. You wanted to know what they were carrying on about, but you didn't want to pry.

By this point, you were starting to leave the farm and cross into the Cindersap Forest. There was a little path that ran from your farm and split, one way leading to the Forest, and the other leading to the Ranch and eventually Pelican Town. You were following the pair when you reached the fork in the path and Marnie stopped, pointing towards the Cindersap Forest.

"What's that over there?" She asked.

It looked like there was a twinkle of lights shining inside the usually dark forest. You looked closer, but you couldn't quite tell what it was. It almost looked like it was coming from the forest's lake.

"Well, should we go see what it is or what?" Jas said impatiently, holding up the dress to try and keep it from dragging on the ground.

"Sure, why not?" Marnie agreed as the pair started walking towards the mysterious shimmers.