Chapter 35: Rest And Recovery

"You're lucky I was there, Shane." Dr. Harvey laughed, examining your boyfriend's broken nose. "If I hadn't seen Elliott being such an ass with my own eyes, I would have assumed the beer was getting the best of you and likely recommended you stop going to the Saloon." You were surprised to hear the quiet doctor curse, but you were just glad he was justifying Shane's actions. "I have to commend you on your progress, though, both with your depression and alcoholism." He smiled as he shined a light inside of Shane's nose. "You've made great progress in such a short amount of time. I don't know how you're doing it, but I'm very impressed."

Shane took a deep breath as he answered the doctor. "I've started to realize all that life has to offer." He looked at you and gave you a half-smile. "I don't want to do anything to risk losing it now."

You felt your cheeks warm up as blush spread over your face. You knew Shane loved you, obviously, but it felt amazing to be reminded of it and hear him talk about it publicly. You tugged on your jacket sleeve and looked down, trying to hide the huge grin that was obviously taking over your face.

"Alright, this is the rough part." The doctor said as he walked over to a cabinet and took out a small air mask and machine. "You aren't concussed, but you do have a broken nose. I have to set the bone back in place. It will hurt quite a bit, so I'll begin by giving you a mild sedative, often called 'laughing gas.'" He put the mask on Shane and turned on the machine for a mere moment. When he pulled the mask back off, Shane looked like he was seconds from falling asleep.

The doctor took no haste in setting the bone back in place with a sickening pop. "Well, that will do." He smiled as he grabbed some plaster to form a small cast. He turned to you to continue his instructions. "Come back in a week or two and we'll take the cast off and see how his nose has healed."

You took a now very loopy Shane to the front of the Clinic to check out. Maru greeted you with a smile and handed over a small bill and a couple of papers to sign. "I'm glad to see it wasn't too serious." She smiled. "Head injuries could get a lot worse. And don't worry, the loopiness will wear off soon."

"Good." You laughed as the two of you turned to see your boyfriend trying to reach for a lollipop in a small basket behind the desk.

Maru sighed and handed him one. "You'd think these were intended for the kids, but I can't tell you how many adults take them." She laughed as you watched Shane open it excitedly.

Shortly after, you left to return back to the farm. Luckily Shane didn't have work today, so he was able to rest and recover from his broken nose and let the sedatives wear off. The two of you were just getting back to the farm when you saw Marnie waiting anxiously on the front porch.

"Oh good!" She exclaimed when she saw the two of you. "Mayor Lewis told me what happened last night! I've been so worried!" She stopped speaking as she saw the small cast over Shane's nose. "Oh dear, what happened Shane?"

Your boyfriend didn't respond as he was too busy licking his lollipop. You answered for him. "Elliott punched him, but he's mostly okay." You comforted his aunt. "He has a broken nose and he's on laughing gas. The prognosis is good."

"That's a relief." She smiled. "Do you want me to take him home so you don't have to worry about him while you farm?"

As much as you wanted to comfort Shane, you really needed to be working on the farming for this very busy season. Marnie's offer was very kind and considerate, plus she would probably know what best to do for him. "Sure, you can call when the medicine's worn off and I'll come over." You smiled as you passed your boyfriend back along to his aunt. You waved them off and ran inside to get some seeds and gardening tools.

You had a very busy day of watering and planting for you. Not only were fall crops highly valuable, but you also had all of the earnings from the previous two seasons to supply your seeds. Unfortunately, it didn't appear that it rained much in the fall here, which meant more watering for you. However, you had recently purchased a few sprinklers to lighten the load. You hoped they would be worth the high cost.