Chapter 67: Some Things Stay The Same

"C'mon, Marn." Shane argued with his aunt as she made pancakes in the old Ranch's kitchen. "I thought the whole point of being married was that I didn't have to do that damn thing anymore."

"Love you too." You retorted jokingly.

Shane rolled his eyes playfully at you. "You know what I mean. I hate the Flower Dance. That awful, starched suit. The stupid rehearsed dance. That eye-watering flower smell. Blech." He shook his head. "The only redeeming factor is the buffet from the Saloon."

"And now another redeeming factor can be dancing with your wife." Marnie mandated, not taking 'no' for an answer. "You're going AND you're dancing. Mayor Lewis said they need more people for the performance. I already pressed your suit and (Y/N)'s dress."

"Aww, seriously?" He sighed, realizing he was doomed to participate in his least favorite festival. Marnie walked over to the table and stacked pancake after pancake on your plate, leaving Shane's empty. "What? I don't get any?" Your husband threw his hands up in the air, slightly frustrated.

"I don't make pancakes for complainers, Shane." Marnie said staunchly before returning to put pancakes on Jas' waiting plate. "You know that."

Your husband sighed, giving in to his fate. "Fine. I'll do the damn dance."

"That's what I like to hear." Marnie smiled, her demeanor doing a '360' as she brought pancakes over for her nephew. She followed it with a piping hot mug of coffee for him. "Plain black coffee for Shane." She smiled and turned to you. "Can I get you something to drink?" She smiled maternally.

You told her your preference and she quickly went to make it for you. You felt bad having Marnie do all the work of preparing meals like this, but both she and Shane had repeatedly reassured you that she absolutely loved to cook and host, which put your hesitations to rest.

"There you go, sweetie." Marnie handed you your drink. "Now I'm going to go find Jas before her breakfast gets cold."

The two of you began to eat, Shane getting over the fact that he would have to face his nightmare of participating in the Flower Dance. Before long, Marnie returned quickly followed by Jas, who was wearing a very, very poofy purple princess dress and a matching tiara. "Ta-da!" She shouted, waiting for her applause.

"Wow, Jazzy!" Shane encouraged his god-daughter. "You look like a princess."

"I am a princess." She corrected him.

You agreed. "And what a beautiful princess! Your dress is stunning!"

"Thank you, thank you." She waved you both off as she took her seat next to your husband. "No paparazzi, please."

You and Shane shared a look, trying not to laugh at the adorable antics of his niece. "Are you looking forward to the flower dance?" You asked her.

"Yep!" She smiled. "I've been practicing my dancing all week!"

Breakfast ended shortly after as the time drew near to leave for the Flower Dance. Luckily, it was only a short walk around the outer perimeter of the Cindersap Forest to get to the field where the dance was held. It was a truly gorgeous day in Stardew Valley. The snow had finally melted off of the tops of the mountains in the distance, welcoming Spring to the Valley. Intricately arranged flowers decorated the path leading to the dance, getting more beautiful and intense as you continued through the forest.

"That place always gives me chills." Marnie sighed, gesturing to the Wizard's tower that stood above the forest, creating a tall shadow over the part of the path that you were walking on. "I used to see Caroline walking around there all the time. I don't know how she did it."