Chapter 38: In A Flash

You were awoken by a bright flash of lightning and a thunderous boom that shook the small farmhouse you called home. You couldn't help but squeal and pull your blankets over your head. You weren't scared of storms, per se, but you definitely didn't enjoy them.

"Hey, hey." You felt two big arms wrap around your waist and pull you out of your blanket cocoon. "It's okay." Your boyfriend whispered reassuringly as he pulled you up against his chest. "We're safe inside. I promise."

"Mmm, okay." You mumbled contentedly, quickly falling back to sleep on your boyfriend's chest, tight in his embrace.

You were shook awake by another round of lightning and thunder. You squeezed Shane's hand tightly and he wrapped the blankets warmly around the two of you in response. "I know you don't like thunderstorms and all," your boyfriend smiled, "but you look so cute cuddled up against me right now."

He started to reach a hand up to do something but you quickly pulled it back down to your waist, not wanting Shane to move. "Just stay here with me."

"Okay." Shane smiled. "I can't think of a better way to spend my day."

You tried to fall back asleep, but the storms kept you wide awake. You didn't mind, you enjoyed laying against Shane and letting the rhythm of his heartbeat and breath keep you grounded against the thunderous shakes of the house.

"This storm is really something." He said, peering out the windows. "I hope it doesn't damage the roof."

To you, that was such an odd thing to worry about, but it was something you loved about Shane. He cared about things that you didn't even think to notice, which was why he would be such a perfect addition to the farm. You suddenly remembered the conversation from the night before and how he turned down your offer to work permanently on the farm.

The morning didn't make the pain any easier, but you were sure it was just as hard for him to deny it as it was for you to hear it. You quickly decided to think about something more positive as you remembered the conversation that had quickly followed.

Shane was thinking about marriage and the future of your relationship, too. It was nice to know that the two of you were on the same page, and honestly, you wouldn't mind if all that stuff was around the corner.

You had been in a couple of long-term relationships in the past, but you never had 'clicked' as well with another person as you did with Shane. The two of you hadn't been dating for the longest time, but you were surprisingly sure of the relationship. You were older and more mature. You were at a point where you knew what you wanted in life and moving forward, and Shane wanted similar things. Even from the first time you met Shane, you felt drawn to him. You spoke to him out of the blue, something you would normally never consider doing.

"What're ya thinking about?" Shane asked, kissing the top of your head as he gently ran his fingers through your hair.

"You." You grinned cheekily.

"Oh?" Your boyfriend raised an eyebrow. "What about me?"

You looked up at him. "How perfect you are."

"Oh." Shane looked a little stunned.

"What?" Did you say something that upset him?

"I just, wow, I guess it's still weird sometimes to realize that you like- actually love me." He smiled, coming back to his normal self. "Sorry, I just don't know how I got this lucky." He smiled. "How about I go start on breakfast."

"I got it." You said, starting to sit up. "I prefer my pancakes a golden brown and fluffy, not black and crunchy" You joked.

You and Shane slowly meandered to the kitchen on this dark rainy day, still in your pajamas. Life around him felt so comfortable, it truly was all you could dream of. He gently wrapped his arms around your waist as you started on some breakfast. He didn't let go as you walked around, grabbing ingredients and cooking.

The two of you sat at your little kitchen table to eat breakfast, but almost as soon as your plates hit the table Shane stood up quickly.

"Let's eat outside." He grabbed his plate and a blanket off the couch before turning towards the door.

"It's storming." You pointed out the windows to the dark billowing clouds hovering ominously over the farm.

"We'll eat on the porch. There's a roof and the rain's pouring the other direction."

You tentatively stood up and followed him outside. Sure enough, the porch was miraculously dry and you followed him over to the little wooden bench propped up in front of your windows. You sat down and Shane wrapped the blanket around you. The air was a little chilly as the season came to a close and you watched the rain hit your much deserving crops. There was a flash of lightning and a loud clap of thunder, but for some reason, you weren't spooked. It was oddly calming and beautiful.

You could see the trees that lined your farm being lit up by the frequent lightning strikes. You weren't really able to hold a conversation given the roar of the wind and the deafening thunder, but it was still nice to have quiet quality time together. The two of you finished you meals and sat back to watch the storm slowly crawl across the farm. You were grateful for the automatic feeders you had installed in the chicken coop so you could stay dry on days like these.

It was worsening up a bit so the two of you decided to head inside. You were in the mood for some tea and quickly put a kettle on to brew while you and Shane cuddled up on the couch to watch a movie. Pepper had evidently woken up while you were outside and he was bursting with excitement to see Shane.

You had always been somewhat close with dogs, but Pepper and Shane had quickly become inseparable. While he was both of your dogs, it was clear he truly belonged to your boyfriend as you watched the brown and white spotted puppy lick the remaining maple syrup off of Shane's face.

You poured yourself a mug of tea and went to sit under the blankets with them. It was so warm and perfect. You thought about starting a fire, but Shane had fixed the heating system that had been broken since you first moved here, so it was on and there was no need for a fire.

Shane flipped on the television and started to change to the movie channel when the TV flickered off along with all of the lights.

"Power's out." Shane assessed quickly, standing up and going to look at the small electrical box in the corner of the living room.

"I got my tea, that's all that matters." You laughed.

Shane tried to fix it, but it was of no use. The two of you grabbed candles and Shane started a (now needed) fire. Shane sat on the floor next to the fire with Pepper and played with his toys while you read a book with a flashlight. It wasn't exactly the day you envisioned for you and your boyfriend, but it was so relaxing and unfortunately reminded you how much you would love to have Shane on the farm full time.

The rest of your day continued similarly. The rain was forecast to continue for the next few days, which was confirmed when it didn't let up after a few hours. The lights and heating eventually came back on a little after dinner, just in time for bed.

It was peaceful, and reminded you why you moved to the Valley in the first place. In Zuzu City, power outages didn't stop anything from happening really. Life carried on, just more inconveniently. Here, it stopped some things from happening, but you were still able to have a good time and just relax. It was all that mattered, plus a much-needed day of rest for you and your boyfriend. All in all, you went to bed rather happy later that night.

✏️ A/N: I am so sorry that this is coming out so late! Life has been a little crazy, but that's no excuse. Still, I really hope you guys were able to enjoy this blissful little chapter. Next Sunday, July 31, 2022, will release Chapter 39: Not Again. Thank you all for reading and once again, I'm so sorry this chapter was delayed. xoxo Kira