Chapter 62: Harvest Cheers

The next week was very busy, with lots of harvesting and planting new seeds to be done. You had convinced your husband to wake up at 4:30am on Friday to help get a start on the day. He very begrudgingly agreed, and you promised you would take him to the Saloon that night as a thank you. You needed all the help you could get to manage the farm, as well as get everything ready for your husband's upcoming birthday tomorrow. You had picked out the perfect present, a day dedicated solely to him, but you didn't have time to think about that now. Today was about the farm.

After hours and hours of tiring, long work it was time to head out for Shane's reward. He was excited, after all, the two of you had been eating at the Saloon less and less as the farm became more sustainable. You both took a shower, got dressed to go out, and said goodbye to Pepper. "I wish we could bring you with us." Shane rubbed your puppy's head affectionately. "But Gus would literally kill us if we brought an animal into the Saloon."

You laughed and agreed, slightly impatient as you waited for your husband to join you at the front door. Shane hated leaving Pepper for too long, but you knew that the small dog appreciated some time to himself now and then. "Alright... let's go." Shane stood up and joined you, heading out of the house.

He romantically held out his arm for you to grab, and you affectionately leaned against him as the two of you set down the trodden dirt path toward Pelican Town. You could see the lights of the Saloon up ahead, as well as hear the joyful sound of the town gathering inside. Fridays were always a busy night for the Saloon, everyone taking time to celebrate a long work week coming to an end.

"Mmm... Pepper poppers..." Shane hummed as the scent of the restaurant's signature appetizers wafted out the open door. "I know that I'm a bit healthier and all now that I don't come here every day, but damn, I miss having a good round of beers and pizza."

"Well, you can have all the beers, pepper poppers, and pizzas that you want tonight." You grinned, grabbing his hand and leading him as you entered the Saloon. "My treat."

The two of you headed to your typical spot on the right side of the bar and sat down. "Is it really your treat when we have a shared bank account now?" Your husband joked, his eyes lighting up as he teased you.

You both just laughed, happy to be spending quality time together. Quickly, Emily appeared in front of you, poised and ready to take your orders. "What can I get for Pelican Town's favorite couple?"

"I'll take a pitcher of beer to start with," Shane replied, not having to think twice about his order. "Then I'm thinking a pepperoni pizza, some garlic bread, a round of pepper poppers, and a Joja Cola to wash it all down." He set down the menu without needing to look at it. "What do you want, honey?"

"I'll take a beer as well, and I'll just have a couple bites of your food if that's okay." You looked up at your husband.

"Sure." Shane shrugged, laughing. "I can always order more if I run out."

Emily scribbled down the last bit of the order before tucking her pen behind her ear and looking up at the two of you with a smile. "Great. I'm on it!"

"So. You're drinking beer tonight?" Shane looked at you curiously.

"I guess so." You replied, matching his tone. "I thought I'd try something different." You started fiddling with a cocktail napkin that you grabbed from the pile sitting in front of you.

"You look really cute tonight." Shane grinned, leaning on one arm against the bar as he admired you. "I'm pretty lucky to be married to you, huh?"

You just blushed at his compliments as Emily brought your drinks over. "Two pints." She set down large steins of beer in front of the two of you. "And an additional pitcher for Shane." She carefully placed a nearly overflowing container in front of your husband for refills. "Your food will be out shortly."