Chapter 13: A Trip In The City

You hurried off the bus and onto the busy city sidewalk. "The office is this way, I think." Shane waved for you to follow him down the row of big buildings. "You can sit in the lobby during the appointment if you want." He smiled at you, fidgeting his hands. "Or you can explore the city, it's up to you. Whoever I talked to on the phone said it should probably take an hour and a half, so we could even get lunch after if you'd like."

    "That sounds wonderful." You smiled at him as you both entered a large granite building. A sign in the building showed that the counseling office was on the eighth floor, so together you quickly turned to the elevators. Shane walked to the right of the elevator and pressed the button that read "8." You looked over at him and noticed he was breathing a little heavy. "Are you okay?"

    "Yeah," He said his voice shaking ever so slightly. "I didn't think I'd be this anxious."

    "Hey, it will all be okay!" You tried to comfort him. He suddenly pulled you into a tight hug. Though he wasn't necessarily tall, he was a head and a half taller than you, so your face fell right into his chest. It was soft, but not too squishy, and you wrapped your arms around him after you got over your initial shock. Once he felt you reach around him, he tightened his grip and leaned his head down to rest it on your head.

    After a moment, he pulled away. "Sorry." He mumbled to himself as a deep blush spread over his face. "Nerves."

    The elevator door opened on the eighth floor and Shane walked out before you could say anything else. In a complete turn of events, he confidently walked over to the secretary and began talking to her in a quiet, respectful lobby tone. You sat in a small armchair by the elevator and waited for Shane to return to you. He turned away from the secretary and came to sit down by you. He settled into the chair but kept moving around like he couldn't get comfortable.

    You watched him, reflecting on the short time that you had known him. It hadn't been three weeks yet. Still, you had seen him flirty, angry, caring, suicidally drunk, nervous, and even romantic, to name a few. Despite this, you liked him. Hell, you loved him. You just weren't sure if he felt the same to you. Your first kiss had been wonderful, but you doubted he had been sober enough to even remember it. What if it had been a mistake? What if he viewed you as a friend and nothing more?

    You were brought out of your internal dilemma by a woman opening the large, frosted glass door that sat to your left. You looked over at her, then Shane's leg, which was bouncing up and down nervously. "Shane?" She called.

    Shane reached over to your hand, which was resting on your lap, and gave it a quick squeeze. "Well, here I go." He whispered. You weren't sure if he was talking to you or himself, but as he stood up to leave he began to draw his hand away, but you caught it and squeezed it back quickly as he walked towards the woman and disappeared behind the wall.

    You sat alone in the quiet waiting room, with the only sound coming from the comforting echoes of the receptionist's keyboard as she busily typed. You hoped Shane was okay. Even though you knew he really needed it, a medically mandated therapy appointment probably wasn't the best way to spend the day before his birthday. His birthday! You sat up like a lightning bolt in your chair. You still hadn't found him a gift and his birthday was tomorrow! You started thinking as you began twiddling your thumbs. What did Shane like?

    Maybe some beer? He doesn't need to be drinking.

Dinner at the saloon? You already did that. What did he like to wear?

Joja Co.? Of course not! What can you find in the city?

The Tunnelers? The Tunnelers! He wore a Tunnelers jersey constantly, plus you had remembered seeing a Tunnelers poster in Shane's room. You could get him tickets to a Tunnelers game! It sounded like a great idea.