Chapter 29: The Dazzling Niece

The next day flew by in a similar manner, sans the constant rain, and you were happily climbing into your warm bed while your boyfriend changed into his pajamas.

"Oh hey, by the way..." Your boyfriend started as you watched him hastily undress. "I won't be able to spend the day here tomorrow, I have to watch Jas. I'm really sorry." He tried on a shirt but saw that it was obviously too small and threw it off with a discontent "hmph."

"Why's that?" You asked, your curiosity peaking.

He quickly threw on a bigger t-shirt and slid into bed. "Marnie is going with Mayor Lewis to something in Zuzu overnight tomorrow, so I'm left to watch her." He explained. "If you want to come over, that would be great, but I have to be with the little imp all day."

"Sounds perfect." You smiled as you felt his strong arms wrap around your waist from behind as he spooned you. "We can head over in the morning."

He sat up a bit and gently kissed the side of your cheek, whispering in your ear. "Great." You wrapped your arms over his. "Goodnight, chickpea."

"Night, Shane." You mumbled in return as sleep hit you.

You woke up the next morning before Shane, which was a first. While neither of you were particularly morning people, Shane seemed to have a little more willpower when it came to getting up for the day. Shane was still spooning you, and you took a moment to lie contently in his arms before rolling over to your side and propping yourself on your elbow to give him a quick peck on the lips. "Good morning." You whispered in a sing-song voice as you watched his face try to process waking up.

"Morning baby." These were the only words you could decipher as he mumbled his response.

The two of you quickly got up and dressed before heading down to the Ranch. Marnie was already up and busily making her way around the house, assuring that everything was in order before she left.

"Aunt Marnie," your boyfriend started for the millionth time since you had arrived, "everything will be okay. Jas is a chill kid."

The frantic rancher sighed. "You're right, I just get so worried." She threw down the dish towel she was holding for some reason in the living room. "Everything will be okay."

"Exactly." Shane agreed.

"Jas is in her room." Marnie reminded the two of you. "She has some homework to do but other than that you can just let her play around. I'll be back tomorrow around noon." She turned to face solely you. "Thank you so much, (Y/N). You really are a great neighbor." Before you could respond she looked up at the clock and grabbed her bags sitting by the door. "I must be off now so Mayor Lewis isn't late, but call if you need anything! The hotel's phone number is on a note on the shop counter!" With that, she was off.

As soon as she left, the Ranch seemed different. Her warm and welcoming presence made it what it was. Your thoughts were interrupted by Shane taking your hand in his. "Let's go find Jas." He smiled.

The two of you headed towards her room and Shane lightly knocked on the door. "Jas?" He asked as the little girl shot out from the unnecessarily dark corners of the room.

She ran up to her uncle and gave him a big hug. Shane picked her up and set her comfortably on his hip. "How are you today, Princess Jas?"

"Hungry." She smiled. "Can you make pancakes for breakfast?"

"Uhh..." Your boyfriend stuttered, realizing he still had no clue how to make pancakes. You remembered his previous attempt fondly.

You decided to save him. "Of course, we can!" You cheered. "Let's go to the kitchen!"