Chapter 33: A Summer Cold

"Oh my Yoba!" In your sleep, you had tried to cuddle into your boyfriend, but you were instead met with a furnace. "Shane!"

    "What?" You boyfriend mumbled sleepily next to you.

    "You're burning up, baby." You sat up quickly and headed to the bathroom to grab a thermometer. You returned to the bed and gently shook your boyfriend all the way awake. "I think you have a fever, Shane."

    You propped up his pillow and he groggily sat up. You turned the thermometer on and put it gently in his mouth. "Ialwayshatethese-"

    "Shh!" You instructed your sleepy partner. "Don't talk, it messes up the temperature!" You could tell he was starting to drift back into sleep as the beeping of the thermometer startled him back awake. You took it out of his mouth and turned on your nightlamp to see the temperature read at just below 102°F. "Good Yoba!"

    "What does it say?" Shane asked, cuddling back under the blankets.

    "It says you're calling out of work today and we're going to the doctor." You checked the time, it was a little past five o'clock in the morning. Harvey's Clinic didn't open until at least nine in the morning.

    You tucked the blankets around Shane and stealthily got out of the bed. While you loved him and wanted to give him all the love and cuddles you could while he's sick, you really could not afford to get sick with the harvesting you were having to do on the farm.

    You took a blanket and went to go sleep on the couch. You laid down, but you were already too awake to fall back asleep. You got up and decided to make yourself a cup of coffee. It was still dark outside, so you couldn't get a head start on the farmwork you had planned for today. Instead, you sat inside and read a book with your morning cup of joe and Pepper cuddled up on your lap.

    The sun was starting to peer through your windows when you heard Shane's alarm for work going off. Pepper was instantly startled by the sound, and quickly ran to hide under the couch. Before you could go back to the bedroom to turn it off, Shane was groggily walking into the living room, his hair a mess and still in his t-shirt and boxers.

    "Morning." He grumbled as he walked over to the coffee pot.

    "Shane!" You rushed over to him and turned him around to lead him back to bed. "Go back to sleep, sweetheart."

    He shook his head and tried to return to the coffee maker, but just kind of leaned into you instead. "I need coffee. I feel awful. Must be having serious withdrawals, chickpea."

    "No, you're sick." You helped your boyfriend over to the couch and sat him down. "You need to call out of work and we'll take you to Harvey's, okay?" You realized he must have not registered it when you told him that a few hours earlier. "You have a fever."

    "Mmm...okay." He acquiesed. "I'll go call out." He shakily stood up and walked over to the landline. You sat patiently while he called and then helped him to the bed where he instantly fell asleep. The sun had just started to rise, but it was already light enough that you could get started on the farming.

    There was a lot of harvesting to be done today. You quickly took care of the chickens and started collecting the rest of the hot peppers, blueberries, tomatoes, radishes, cabbages, and corn. You had accrued a lot of product, and you were happy to sell most of it, saving a few specialty items for your own kitchen. By the time you were finished, it was almost nine in the morning so you hurried to get cleaned up before you needed to take Shane to the doctor.

    You showered and got dressed, then woke Shane up. You got him a small breakfast while he got dressed and quickly headed out to the doctor.

    "Should we leave Pepper home by himself?" Shane asked almost instantly after you stepped off the farm property.